AOL Messenger & Privacy

Dave (suprdave@lightspeed.net)
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 10:21:40 -0700

Timothy Litteral wrote:
> I get some rather interesting things in the mail.  ;-)  Weren't we talking
> about the AOL messenger thingy a while back (maybe as an aside for another
> messenger service?)  Anyway, it is not illegal to listen in on ANY email
> transmission.  Did Y'all know that?  I always say, "Never put anything on a
> PC that you wouldn't have displayed on a huge billboard on Main Street.  It
> just might be, some day.  ;-)"

Dave responds:
Well, our privacy is almost gone. It shouldn't surprise us when our
personal e-mail or Instant Messages are in full view for anyone. Of
course, people who don't have anything better to do will "dunk their
donuts" (an expression used by a UPC friend of mine which means "getting
into other peoples' business).

As long as you possess a Social Security number, nothing of ours is
private. It is a shame that we have no privacy in our nation. What ever
happened to "We the people"?