Luke-walking-with-Jesus (was: Brol, Kirk and others...)

"Tyler Nally" (tnally@iquest.net)
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 11:05:13 -0500

The scribor, Bro Timothy Litteral, scribeth...

>Now, use history or logic or even the *bible* or whatever suits you the best
>but please do just one thing:  PROVE BEYOND ANY DOUBT THAT LUKE DID
>***NOT*** WALK SIDE BY SIDE WITH JESUS.

> That *personal* issue aside, are we agreed that Luke lived and wrote both
> Luke and Acts in the same time that at least the Apostles were alive?

Yeah... I agree with that.  Not a contemporary with Jesus during his
short stay on earth, but of Paul.

The *eyewitnessing* part alluded to in Luke 1:2 ...

 Lu 1:2 Even as they delivered them unto us, which from the beginning
        were eyewitnesses, and ministers of the word;

... was talking about how the eyewitness account of Christ was delivered unto
Luke and the ministers of the word.  It didn't say that Luke was an eyewitness
himself.  It says that the word of testimony of maybe even first-hand witness
was brought unto himself (and others).

Evidently, after the crucifixion and ressurection of Christ and the spread
of the Gospel continued throughout the world, there were probably many
different narratives about Christ's life that were being written and circulated.
Luke, being the professional physician he was, sought to gather toghether the
eyewitness accounts of times past and put them in a single verifyable volume
known as the Book according to St. Luke (as some would say).

Matthew Henry's consise description of Luke is as follows...

  ** This evangelist is generally supposed to have been a physician, and a
  companion of the apostle Paul. The style of his writings, and his acquaintance
  with the Jewish rites and usages, sufficiently show that he was a Jew, while
  his knowledge of the Greek language and his name, speak his Gentile origin.
  He is first mentioned #Ac 16:10,11, as with Paul at Troas, whence he attended
  him to Jerusalem, and was with him in his voyage, and in his imprisonment at
  Rome. This Gospel appears to be designed to supersede many defective and
  unauthentic narratives in circulation, and to give a genuine and inspired
  account of the life, miracles, and doctrines of our Lord, learned from those
  who heard and witnessed his discourses and miracles.

Of Luke 1:1-4 Matthew Henry...

    1-4 Luke will not write of things about which Christians may safely differ
    from one another, and hesitate within themselves; but the things which are,
    and ought to be surely believed. The doctrine of Christ is what the wisest
    and best of men have ventured their souls upon with confidence and
    satisfaction. And the great events whereon our hopes depend, have been
    recorded by those who were from the beginning eye-witnesses and ministers
    of the word, and who were perfected in their understanding of them through
    Divine inspiration.

My Geneva bible notes say  this about Luke 1:1-2 ...

   1:1 Forasmuch as {1} many have {a} taken in hand to set forth in
    order a declaration of those things which are most surely
    believed among us,

   (1) Luke commends the witnesses that saw this present account.
       (a) Many took it in hand, but did not perform: Luke wrote
           his gospel before Matthew and Mark.

  1:2 {b} Even as they delivered them unto us, which from the
    beginning were eyewitnesses, and ministers of the word;

    (b) Luke was not any eye witness, and therefore it was not
        he to whom the Lord appeared when Cleopas saw him: and
        he was taught not only by Paul, but by others of the
        apostles also.

My People's NT commentary says this about Luke 1:1-4 ...

    Forasmuch as many. #Lu 1:1-4 are an introduction. They explain
    that already many narratives of Christ had been written, that
    these were by eye witnesses and ministers of the word, that
    Luke had made a careful examination of all these sources of
    information, and thought it good, "having traced all things
    accurately from the first, to write them out in order" [#Lu 1:3].
    We thus learn that at least as early as twenty-seven years
    after the death of Christ (see Introduction to Luke) many
    histories of eye witnesses and ministers had already written,
    of which only two, Matthew and Mark, have come down to us.

SCOFIELD REFERENCE NOTES (Old Scofield 1917 Edition)

[Book Introduction]

The Gospel According to St. Luke

WRITER. The writer of the third Gospel is called by Paul "the beloved
physician" #Col 4:14 and, as we learn from the Acts, was Paul's frequent
companion.  He was of Jewish ancestry, but his correct Greek marks him
as a Jew of the dispersion.  Tradition says that he was a Jew of Antioch,
as Paul was of Tarsus.

DATE.  The date of Luke falls between A.D. 63 and 68.

THEME. Luke is the Gospel of the human-divine One, as John is of the
divine-human One.  The key-phrase is "Son of man," and the key-verse
#Lu 19:10. "For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which
was lost."  In harmony with this intent, Luke relates those things
concerning Jesus which demonstrate how entirely human He was. His
genealogy is traced to Adam, and the most detailed account is given of
His mother, and of His infancy and boyhood.  The parables peculiar to
Luke have distinctively the human and the seeking note.  But Luke is
careful to guard the Deity and Kingship of Jesus Christ #Lu 1:32-35.
Luke, then, is the Gospel of "the man whose name is The BRANCH" #Zec
6:12.

Luke has six chief divisions:

1) The Evangelist's Introduction, 1.1-4.

2) The human relationships of Jesus, 1.5-2.52.

3) The baptism,  ancestry, and testing of Jesus, 3.1-4.13.

4) The ministry of the Son of man as Prophet-King in Galilee,
   4.14-9.50.

5) The final offer of the Son of man as King to israel, His rejection
   and sacrifice, 19.45-23.56.

6) The resurrection, resurrection ministry, and ascension of the
   Son of man, 24.1-53.

The events recorded in this book cover a period of 39 years.

I personally think that since Luke himself said in Luke 1:2
that the accounts of Christ were witnessed *to* him by others
that brought it to him, by Luke's own admission, he wasn't a
contemporary of Christ.

His writing was to set the foundation of the life of Christ square
and level as there had been circulating many narratives that were
both inaccurate and bogus.

Bro Tyler
--
Bro Tyler Nally

   higher-fire-request@prairienet.org

To e-mail the higher-fire list with a message, send e-mail to ...

   higher-fire@prairienet.org

The Higher-Fire listprocessor's e-addresses for changes and queries ...

        listproc@prairienet.org

 a) ... To Subscribe               SUB HIGHER-FIRE Your Name
 b) ... To UnSubscribe             UNSUB HIGHER-FIRE
 c) ... To Postpone Mail           SET HIGHER-FIRE MAIL POSTPONE
 d) ... To Resume Mail             SET HIGHER-FIRE MAIL ACK
 e) ... To Change to H-F Digests   SET HIGHER-FIRE MAIL DIGEST
 f) ... To Check H-F Settings      SET HIGHER-FIRE
 g) ... To Review H-F Subscription REVIEW HIGHER-FIRE
H-F Homepage     :  http://www.prairienet.org/upci/h-f.html
H-F WWW Archives :  http://www.higherfire.org
H-F Nettiquette  :  http://www.higherfire.org/netiq.html
H-F F.A.Q.       :  http://www.higherfire.org/FAQ.html
H-F KJV Bible    :  http://www.higherfire.org/kjv
H-F QuickTour    :  http://www.prairienet.org/~tgnally/HigherFireTour.html
H-F Questionaire :  http://www.prairienet.org/upci/questions.html

H-F IRC Channel  :  #higher-fire on a Undernet.org server

  "...prefer to hear educated blessings preach than ignorant blessing!"
  - Bro Robert Jay Brown III