True story of consurmer rip-off.......... you get the binifit.... sorta funny to! Mike

"Tyler Nally" (tnally@iquest.net)
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 12:33:14 -0500

The scribor, Bro Dave Vivas, scribeth ...

> Regarding the incident about the person who was upset for being charged
> $250 for a recipe, sounds like they might be good. However, would you
> say that you are contributing to getting revenge with this restaurant? I
> don't blame the poor woman who was ripped off for being angry...but
> isn't this called "revenge"?

Not exactly.  This is an urban legend.

At www.urbanlegends.com we see...

   Cook cheated into buying Mrs Fields' recipe, gets revenge
   by spreading it. ["The Mrs. Fields Cookie Recipe" in CBA.
   This is probably a descendant of the "Red Velvet Cake" UL in
   TVH. Another version involves Neiman-Marcus and many other
   noted retail establishments.]

Evidently, the "Red Velvet Cake" was a well known urban legend
of times long past with much the same attributes as the Nieman-
Marcus cookie or the Mrs. Fields cooke recipe.

http://www.urbanlegends.com/food/two-fifty/neiman-marcus_debunked.html
http://www.urbanlegends.com/food/two-fifty/neiman-marcus.html

On a "red velvet cake" page at ...

   http://www.urbanlegends.com/food/two-fifty/red_velvet_cake_recipes.html

it says ...

   I also found a recipe for "$250.00 Cookies", from a 1993 book, no
   doubt taken from the recent legends. I found a Waldorf-Astoria cake,
   but it had no red in it. I also found a mysterious "Chocolate Cake --
   $50 Recipe" in a 1959 book. This sounds a lot like the same legend,
   but it is a lemon chocolate cake with no red and has no story with it.

   Mom also has a photocopied "Neiman's $250 Cookie Recipe". On Friday,
   11/24/95, I visited the food section of NM and asked where the chocolate
   chip cookies were. The woman passing out tasty samples of fruit cake
   laughed and said that her husband had come home with the recipe just
   a few weeks before and that he had never heard it before and believed
   it, until she straightened him out. She said I was the first person
   she had ever heard mention it in the store.

Bro Tyler
--
Bro Tyler Nally

   higher-fire-request@prairienet.org

To e-mail the higher-fire list with a message, send e-mail to ...

   higher-fire@prairienet.org

The Higher-Fire listprocessor's e-addresses for changes and queries ...

        listproc@prairienet.org

 a) ... To Subscribe               SUB HIGHER-FIRE Your Name
 b) ... To UnSubscribe             UNSUB HIGHER-FIRE
 c) ... To Postpone Mail           SET HIGHER-FIRE MAIL POSTPONE
 d) ... To Resume Mail             SET HIGHER-FIRE MAIL ACK
 e) ... To Change to H-F Digests   SET HIGHER-FIRE MAIL DIGEST
 f) ... To Check H-F Settings      SET HIGHER-FIRE
 g) ... To Review H-F Subscription REVIEW HIGHER-FIRE
H-F Homepage     :  http://www.prairienet.org/upci/h-f.html
H-F WWW Archives :  http://www.higherfire.org
H-F Nettiquette  :  http://www.higherfire.org/netiq.html
H-F F.A.Q.       :  http://www.higherfire.org/FAQ.html
H-F KJV Bible    :  http://www.higherfire.org/kjv
H-F QuickTour    :  http://www.prairienet.org/~tgnally/HigherFireTour.html
H-F Questionaire :  http://www.prairienet.org/upci/questions.html

H-F IRC Channel  :  #higher-fire on a Undernet.org server

  "...prefer to hear educated blessings preach than ignorant blessing!"
  - Bro Robert Jay Brown III