My bad and fruit of the vine *where* I live....

"Tyler Nally" (tnally@iquest.net)
Sat, 28 Aug 1999 21:38:36 -0500

The scribor, Bro Dave Vivas, scribeth ....

> Dave asks:
> And how long did you let that sit? A year? Bro. Tyler, are you turning
> that into wine??? LOL

Heh, heh....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....   From harvesting --to--> freezing...
4 or 5 days for about half of the bunch and about 1 or 2 days for the
other half.

Fermenting it eh?  I've been told that *spoiled* grape juice is wine
gone bad and allowed to sour.  Back when I was out in the world, I didn't
like wine back then....though on occasion I didn't mind a little bit of
Asti Spumante.

I remember back when I was out in the world, when I was particularly
young and foolish, I had a jug of some kind of frozen concentrate (I
think it was Cranberry Juice) mostly, maybe..... 95% by volume and then
a dab ov Everclear (which is straight corn alcohol at 180 proof which is
90% alcohol).  I think it might have been a leftover from a party prior
to a buddies pre-nuptual wedding event (bachelor's party).  Anyway, I
remember that I got to bring it home and it just sat there in my parents
downstairs refrigerator.  I remember checking on it after a couple of
weeks.  When I removed the screw-on lid, it *pop*-d open with a nice
little pop meaning it was fermenting even stronger than it was in it's
original form.  I re-capped it and then forgot about it for another
couple o months or so.  Then when I checked it, it *POP*-d (really big
pop ... almost like a bottle of champagne being uncorked ... I mean there
was PRESSURE released) to the point where it blew my hand out of the way
when I had released the gasses from inside the bottle.  I remember
sipping it slightly and *whew* was it ever strong!  Holey Moley!  I
didn't even like the strength of strong wine like that back then so I
poured it down the laundry drain.  It was highly potent stuff.  I couldda
saved it and fueled a top-fuel high-speed dragster with it if I wanted
to.  But I didn't know where to donate it.  That was about 20 years or
so ago.... I've since turned that page of my life over to the Lord as
the last time I've consumed any recreational alcohol was with a couple
of friends during the '84 closing ceremonies of the Summer Olympics
in Los Angeles.  It was then I had my last brewsky.  I think that was
sometime in about the 2nd or 3rd week of August 84.  That was the
summer prior to me coming to the Lord in fall 84 --> spring 85 when I
received the Holy Ghost at a youth rally on June 1, 85 and then was
baptized in Jesus name on Fathers Day '85 (June 16, 85).

> Tyler:
> > Though I didn't appreciate the sting by a wasp when I was harvesting the
> > grapes, normally my had would swell like a watermelon, I fought through them
> > and destroyed their nest in the process so that I could continue picking the
> > grapes.  Praise God \o/ also that I didn't swell like the last time I did
> > when I was stung.... hallelujah!
>
> Dave:
> I live in the heart of the valley where grapes are grown and shipped all
> over the world. You need to hang some glittering paper to scare off the
> birds. Also, you need to have your vineyards sprayed to keep bugs off.
> That's the way I've seen them do it around here. And here, they have
> thousands of acres of grapevines.

Ahhhhhhhhh.... good tips!  I knew I'd have to spray them to keep the
bugs off, but the glittering paper to keep birds away.  I figgered it'd
have to be a net we could go out and get to keep them out as my grape
arbor is about 3-3.5 feet wide by 7-8 feet long by 6.5-7 feet tall.

I really hadn't persued the means by which we can keep more grapes than
we give up other than being mindfull of when the harvest is about to happen
and the condition of the grapes.

Bro Tyler
--
Bro Tyler Nally

   higher-fire-request@prairienet.org

To e-mail the higher-fire list with a message, send e-mail to ...

   higher-fire@prairienet.org

The Higher-Fire listprocessor's e-addresses for changes and queries ...

        listproc@prairienet.org

 a) ... To Subscribe               SUB HIGHER-FIRE Your Name
 b) ... To UnSubscribe             UNSUB HIGHER-FIRE
 c) ... To Postpone Mail           SET HIGHER-FIRE MAIL POSTPONE
 d) ... To Resume Mail             SET HIGHER-FIRE MAIL ACK
 e) ... To Change to H-F Digests   SET HIGHER-FIRE MAIL DIGEST
 f) ... To Check H-F Settings      SET HIGHER-FIRE
 g) ... To Review H-F Subscription REVIEW HIGHER-FIRE
H-F Homepage     :  http://www.prairienet.org/upci/h-f.html
H-F WWW Archives :  http://www.higherfire.org
H-F Nettiquette  :  http://www.higherfire.org/netiq.html
H-F F.A.Q.       :  http://www.higherfire.org/FAQ.html
H-F KJV Bible    :  http://www.higherfire.org/kjv
H-F QuickTour    :  http://www.prairienet.org/~tgnally/HigherFireTour.html
H-F Questionaire :  http://www.prairienet.org/upci/questions.html

H-F IRC Channel  :  #higher-fire on a Undernet.org server

  "...prefer to hear educated blessings preach than ignorant blessing!"
  - Bro Robert Jay Brown III