Holy Word - apocrypha

"Caryle & Anneliese" (aclear@cinci.rr.com)
Sun, 29 Aug 1999 09:28:02 -0400

Laura wrote:
> What do you (anyone) think about the Catholic books, such as Tobit,
> Maccabees, Wisdom, etc.  Why are they in the Catholic Bible, and where
did
> they come from?  Just curious.

Anneliese replies:
Not all of them are "Catholic" books.  The correct word for them is
"apocryphal" books or "hidden" books.  They are found in original versions
of the KJV, and are described as (para.)  I took two separate classes on
the OT & Judaism in college.  One was taught by an Episcopal priest, the
other by a Jewish Rabbi, respectively.  Both stated that the Maccabees
related actual historical events."good to read, but not good for doctrine"
(or words to that effect).

For example, the books of Maccabees detail **real** Jewish history.
However, just because they are ancient books of Jewish history does *not*
mean they qualify automatically as religious books.  There actually was a
revolt led by Judas Maccabeus to rid Jerusalem of the "abomination of
desolations" found in the temple - i.e. the enemy general (I forget his
name, but would recognize it if someone could help me remember) had set up
his pagan images in the temple and had defiled all of the holy objects -
except *one* day's worth of oil in a holy lamp.  After the revolt, they
needed the lamp to reconsecrate the temple.  The oil miraculously burned
for 8 days instead of just 1 - which is where Channukah comes from.  All of
this is detailed in the books of Maccabees.  Interesting to read and study,
but not critical to any salvation issues.

Anneliese