[Fwd: [Fwd: And you say we are Cults!!]]

Robert Donald Taylor (roblin@bellsouth.net)
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 00:02:21 -0500

--------------44BD966FC9DDF14BA0B00993

This is a post of a trinitarian responding to one of my posts.  Please
read and give your thoughts.

Robert D. Taylor

--------------44BD966FC9DDF14BA0B00993

Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 23:58:00 -0500
From: Robert Donald Taylor <roblin@bellsouth.net>
To: Linda Taylor <roblin@bellsouth.net>
Subject: [Fwd: And you say we are Cults!!]

--------------CEBFFD067ACBA4E5151714C3

From: "Mike Bugal" <revmikeb@earthlink.net>
Newsgroups: alt.religion.christian.pentecostal
Subject: Re: And you say we are Cults!!
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 22:57:03 -0500

Robert Donald Taylor <roblin@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:37C97FD1.F777230A@bellsouth.net...
> Maybe I am reading my Bible wrong, these old eyes aren't what they used
> to be.  Please help me understand this.
> Does the Scripture say, "Hear O Israel , the Lord our God is One Lord",
> or does it say, " Hear O Israel, the Lord our GodS are Three Lords".

The important thing to remember is that it's not just what a verse says that
matters, but what that verse means. The meaning of a verse comes from three
things: the context of the verse, continuity of any meaning that could
possibly be assigned with the rest of the Bible and the language that the
verse was originally written in. Since the Bible was not originally written
in English (a real shock to the KJV only people) the language provides
important clues to meaning.

Is the "One" of this verse the "one" of singularity that Oneness wants it to
be? Or is it a compound "one", a "one" of unity? Well, the word translated
as "One" here is the Hebrew word "echad". That same word is also used in
Genesis 2:24, "Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and
shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one [echad] flesh.". If
"echad" means what Oneness wants it to in this verse, then the husband and
wife merge into one single body. Obviously, such is not the case nor is it
the case in the verse above.

> That is blasphemy to change the meaning of the Bible the way you folks
> do!!  You might not change the words, but you are saying it Loud and
> Clear.
> God the Creator, Redeemer, and Lord has always been One.

Actually, it's blasphemy for man to change the nature of God into something
similar to man's nature (Romans 1:23). To say that God cannot be Tri-une in
nature simply because we cannot grasp it with our finite, sin scarred minds
and in spite of the clear teaching of over 700 scriptures is blasphemy. To
change Jesus from the eternal Son into a flesh shell that the Father
inhabited is blasphemy. To change the Holy Spirit from One who has a mind,
will and emotions into an impersonal "active force of God at work in the
lives of believers today" is blasphemy.

There is no "changing of meaning" required to support the Doctrine of the
Trinity from the Bible. But there is a bunch of changing required to come up
with the Oneness Doctrine... and a whole bunch of ignoring too. If a
scripture refutes the Oneness Doctrine, ignore it. It's pitiful.

In Christ,

--
Rev. Mike  Bugal
Heartland Chapel Ministries