Pentecost

"Tyler Nally" (tnally@iquest.net)
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 11:32:01 -0500

The scribor, Bro Daniel Wellman, scribeth ...

<snip>

> We know prophecy was told would take place when the spirit was poured
> out. Peter confirmed it was prophecy. (Acts 2:16) But this is that which
> was spoken by the prophet Joel. This prophecy was poured out in other
> tongues not a tongue that was not understood. So the primary
> significance was placed on prophecy. The question is why?

Two things.... there are two different operations of tongues....

  1) another tonuge ... the earthly language spoken by a new convert
                        as the spirit gives utterance.  It's not a
                        dialect that they've learned and been schooled
                        in that they could just talk and be comfortable
                        about it.  This tongue is given when one recceives
                        the baptism of the Holy Ghost the initial time.

          In the case of the initial outpouring of the Holy Ghost,
          God was speaking through the 120 to the crowd around about
          them in their own languages.

  2) unknown tongue ... called *tongues* of angels in 1 Cor 14.  A gift
                        of the spirit.  This kind of tongue, if spoken,
                        is unto personal edification *unless* there be
                        an interpreter.... and then it must be done
                        properly by course and order ...

             1Co 14:27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let
                       it be by two, or at the most by three, and
                       that by course; and let one interpret.

Tongues that's operates with understanding to more than one person falls
into the category of *prophecy*.

 1Co 14:2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto
          men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in
          the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
        3 But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification,
          and exhortation, and comfort.
        4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but
          he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

Bro Tyler
--
Bro Tyler Nally

   higher-fire-request@prairienet.org

To e-mail the higher-fire list with a message, send e-mail to ...

   higher-fire@prairienet.org

The Higher-Fire listprocessor's e-addresses for changes and queries ...

        listproc@prairienet.org

 a) ... To Subscribe               SUB HIGHER-FIRE Your Name
 b) ... To UnSubscribe             UNSUB HIGHER-FIRE
 c) ... To Postpone Mail           SET HIGHER-FIRE MAIL POSTPONE
 d) ... To Resume Mail             SET HIGHER-FIRE MAIL ACK
 e) ... To Change to H-F Digests   SET HIGHER-FIRE MAIL DIGEST
 f) ... To Check H-F Settings      SET HIGHER-FIRE
 g) ... To Review H-F Subscription REVIEW HIGHER-FIRE
H-F Homepage     :  http://www.prairienet.org/upci/h-f.html
H-F WWW Archives :  http://www.higherfire.org
H-F Nettiquette  :  http://www.higherfire.org/netiq.html
H-F F.A.Q.       :  http://www.higherfire.org/FAQ.html
H-F KJV Bible    :  http://www.higherfire.org/kjv
H-F QuickTour    :  http://www.prairienet.org/~tgnally/HigherFireTour.html
H-F Questionaire :  http://www.prairienet.org/upci/questions.html

H-F IRC Channel  :  #higher-fire on a Undernet.org server

  "...prefer to hear educated blessings preach than ignorant blessing!"
  - Bro Robert Jay Brown III