Pentecost

"G.W. Sullivan" (truth@sunline.net)
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 13:35:35 -0400

Daniel Wellman wrote:

> We know prophecy was told would take place when the spirit was poured
> out. Peter confirmed it was prophecy. (Acts 2:16) But this is that which
> was spoken by the prophet Joel. This prophecy was poured out in other
> tongues not a tongue that was not understood. So the primary
> significance was placed on prophecy. The question is why?

Brother Daniel,
 The word prophesy litterally means to speak under the inspiration of
God. This is the root word where prophecy comes from, but also means
exactly what took place when the 120 received the Holy Ghost on the day
of Pentecost; they spake with other tongues "as the spirit gave the
utterance". (Acts 2:4). Some undoudtedly spoke in languages that were
understood by those of differing nationalities, but it does not say that
each was understood  by others. Paul said, "I speak with the tongues of
men and of angels"
(1 Cor. 13:1). When I received the Holy Ghost there was no one thee to
interpret, but I learned later that one of the phrases that I kept
repeating meant, "God is in control".
 I know of othre instances where someone under the inspiration of the
Holy Ghost spoke to foreigners in their own language, but when the
spirit gives the utterance, it fullfills Joel's prophecy (or prophesy).