Pentecost

"Tyler Nally" (tnally@iquest.net)
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 22:17:31 -0500

The scribor, Bro Dan Wellman, scribeth ...

> Why did the first people filled with the Holy Ghost in the new testament
> prophesy, such as Zacharias
> and Elisabeth. Also all of the prophets of old prophecy. I know that
> people say that the Holy Ghost was upon them and they were not filled.

I'd say *yes* the Holy Ghost was upon them.... but they didn't receive
the baptism of the Holy Ghost.  Because it wasn't until the day of
Pentecost that the Holy Ghost was given.

They might have been *moved* on by the Holy Ghost like any other OT
saint, but they didn't receive *the promise* of the Father and be
endued with power from on high...

 Lu 24:47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be
          preached in his name among all nations, beginning at
          Jerusalem.
       48 And ye are witnesses of these things.
       49 And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you:
          but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued
          with power from on high.

 Joh 7:38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out
          of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.
       39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe
          on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet
          given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

The supernatural *phenomena* known as being baptized in the Holy Ghost
didn't occur until the Day of Pentecost as recorded in Acts 2.

In times past prior to this, when the Holy Ghost moved on man, a very
common occurance was for man to prophesy.  Ya know... it's not much
different in the way that man talks (prophesies) when the Holy Ghost
(Spirit of the Lord) comes upon a man ... and a new age channeler
when a *familiar spirit* (demon) moves upon the new ager.  In either
case, the man talks.... one unto the glory of God, and one unto the
rise of satan...   One's a counterfeit... and one's an original ...

When Joel talked about the initial outpouring of the Holy Ghost, he said ...

 Joe 2:27 And ye shall know that I am in the midst of Israel, and
          that I am the LORD your God, and none else: and my people
          shall never be ashamed.
       28 ¶ And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out
          my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters
          shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young
          men shall see visions:
       29 And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those
          days will I pour out my spirit.

Also prophesied in Isiah...

 Isa 28:11 For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak
           to this people.
        12 To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause
           the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they
           would not hear.

God said he'd *talk* to the people.... yet they would not hear.  Sounds
like prophesing to me.

You can still look at many times in the OT that when the Spirit of
God would move on man.... man prophesied.  Once.... a donkey even
talked!

> But Jesus used the same term "UPON." (Acts 1:8 KJV) But ye shall receive
> power, after that the Holy Ghost is COME UPON YOU: and ye shall be
> witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria,
> and unto the uttermost part of the earth. Also it says that the Holy
> Ghost came upon them in: (Acts 19:6 KJV) And when Paul had laid his
> hands upon them, the Holy Ghost CAME ON THEM; and they spake with
> TONGUES, and PROPHESIED. Just curious and wanting input, thank you.

The main difference between OT Holy Ghost movements and NT Holy Ghost
baptism ... is the fact that the saints in the NT received *power*.  It
was then that ...

   Mr 16:17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my
            name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with
            new tongues;
        18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly
           thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on
           the sick, and they shall recover.
        19 ¶ So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was
           received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.
        20 And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord
           working with them, and confirming the word with signs
           following. Amen.

  Lu 24:49 And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but
           tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with
           power from on high.

There's a big difference between the *power* that the Holy Ghost filled
saints of God has in comparison of the 70 disciples that were sent out
with the name of the Lord.  Those disciples described how things were
subject to the Lords name ... which is scriptural.  By the very mention
of the name of the Lord, the sick were healed, the dead were raised,
and the dead came back to life, and the demons cam out.  The 70 disciples
were astonished that they could do so much with the name of the Lord.

*Power* comes from the word .... *dunemus* (I think).  Which is the
root word of *dynamite*.  There's a residing, potential, amount of
energy that's contained in *dunemus* (power).  Prior to being filled
with the Holy Ghost... there's no residing dynamic power in any of us.

Bro Tyler
--
Bro Tyler Nally

   higher-fire-request@prairienet.org

To e-mail the higher-fire list with a message, send e-mail to ...

   higher-fire@prairienet.org

The Higher-Fire listprocessor's e-addresses for changes and queries ...

        listproc@prairienet.org

 a) ... To Subscribe               SUB HIGHER-FIRE Your Name
 b) ... To UnSubscribe             UNSUB HIGHER-FIRE
 c) ... To Postpone Mail           SET HIGHER-FIRE MAIL POSTPONE
 d) ... To Resume Mail             SET HIGHER-FIRE MAIL ACK
 e) ... To Change to H-F Digests   SET HIGHER-FIRE MAIL DIGEST
 f) ... To Check H-F Settings      SET HIGHER-FIRE
 g) ... To Review H-F Subscription REVIEW HIGHER-FIRE
H-F Homepage     :  http://www.prairienet.org/upci/h-f.html
H-F WWW Archives :  http://www.higherfire.org
H-F Nettiquette  :  http://www.higherfire.org/netiq.html
H-F F.A.Q.       :  http://www.higherfire.org/FAQ.html
H-F KJV Bible    :  http://www.higherfire.org/kjv
H-F QuickTour    :  http://www.prairienet.org/~tgnally/HigherFireTour.html
H-F Questionaire :  http://www.prairienet.org/upci/questions.html

H-F IRC Channel  :  #higher-fire on a Undernet.org server

  "...prefer to hear educated blessings preach than ignorant blessing!"
  - Bro Robert Jay Brown III