Financing church building projects...

"Nancy Troutman" (nxt116@psu.edu)
Thu, 5 Oct 1995 12:20:46 -0500

In message Thu, 5 Oct 1995 00:40:08 -0500,
  "R. Kyle Jones" <rkjones@fas.harvard.edu>  writes:

> At 06:42 AM 10/4/95 -0500, you wrote:
>
>>In message Wed, 4 Oct 1995 05:06:31 -0500,
>>    richardm@cd.com (Richard Masoner)  writes:
>>

>>>   Hey, I have an idea...
>>>
>>>   Why don't we all turn each other in to this cult deprogrammer guy
>>>   Rick Ross then, after he abducts and tortures each of us, we can
>>>   *all* sue him for $5 million!!
>>>
>>>   We *are* looking to purchase a building, after all ;-)
>>>
>>>   Richard
>>>

>>  Is this a "serious" suggestion?
>>
>>   York PA needs a new building, will you suggest this to Br. Barker?  He
>> has been praying for ideas on how to pay for the building.  :-D
>>

> I have an idea on how to get cash for a building project: borrow it from
> someone within the church.  Some individuals in your church may have very
> large amounts of money in CD's for their children.  If you can provide
> them what they want (a good return on their investment), they just might
> go for it.  All you have to do is offer them something like 7% to beat
> their measly CD rates of 6%.  Just a thought . . .
>
> Also, bonds could be a great way to build your church.  It's been done
> long ago in Kansas; at that time, the building was the largest one in
> Kansas, and the only one equipped with air conditioning!
>
> But, *PLEASE*, no more peanut brittle!  I have seen churches selling
> peanut brittle for so long that, well, I'll spare you the details about
> how I feel about it . . .
>
> Kyle
> --- R. Kyle Jones                       || Internet:
> rkjones@fas.harvard.edu 60 Linnaean Street                  ||
> rkjones@galstar.com Cabot Mail Center, Box 464          || Phone: (617)
> 493-5957 Cambridge, MA  02138-7521           ||
> http://www.galstar.com/~rkjones/
> ---  "Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the
> heathen, I will be exalted in the earth."
> Psalms 46:10
>
> R. Kyle Jones is not a licensed nor practicing psychologist, but merely an
> undergraduate studying psychology.  Any advice given should not be
> miscontrued in any fashion to indicate any form of professional
> counseling. Please seek a practicing professional for any mental health
> or other professional counseling concerns.

Loans within the church are out.  We are not a large or a rich church.  We
are maxed out now.  I think our building holds <150 and our parking lot
holds about 30 cars (my guestimates).  So far Br. Barker hasn't mentioned
peanut-brittle.  But he is looking for ways to finance the project.