BP- Questions

Mark W. Bassett (mbasset@pcnet.com)
Sun, 8 Oct 1995 05:26:32 -0500

On Sun, 8 Oct 1995 00:55:20 -0500, you wrote:

>Where did you get these percentages (0.017%-0.025%), and can they be
>backed up by some kind of statistical survey or something?

These numbers are generally discussed. I've talked to people who say
that they have done the math. What I've done points this way.

> I have long suspected such a consistent figure existed, but I had always
>thought it ought to be considerably greater, like in the 1% range.
>You figure seems too small to me.

A church of 500 in a town of 50,000 is unusual. There are certainly a
lot of dynamics at work here. Far more than a simple %.

For example, churches of 500 are rare in general. Many mid size cities
support three or more good size churches. It is not possible to assume
that, if one folded, the remaining would absorb the left over
population, or grow to that extent.

Rural churches tend to have a much higher % by a fact of 3-4 simply
because the median size figure (i.e. in some respects a church
pastorable by a man of moderate ability) is just larger with respect
to the total population which it draws from.

Also, there is a "comfortable size". This is one of the growth
impediments, but at a certain size, people subconsciously (I hope it
remains subconcious, or at least unspoken!) just dont WANT the church
to grow, because the growth represents uncomfortable challenges.

All in all, what does the % mean? I have NO CLUE! :)

But, we *do* know that there are definite points of challenge. After
all, statistics tell us of unnamed forces, and icebergs perceptable by
the small tip. If we're smart, we'll believe the larger part is there,
though invisible.

Interesting sucject though isn't it, Bro. Robert.

--
The Whole Gospel to the Whole World    -   Life Tabernacle UPC
"Preaching the Kingdom of God, and teaching those things which concern the Lord Jesus Christ,