note from Steve

Mark W. Bassett (mbasset@pcnet.com)
Tue, 10 Oct 1995 19:34:06 GMT

On Tue, 10 Oct 1995 09:49:01 -0500 (CDT), you wrote:

>Whoa, devil!!   This from the filthy reprobate that was a participant in the
>Z1_WINTERS echo (an echo set up by individuals to slander me where among the
>things discussed were firebombing my house).

It must have been unpleasant to have had a large number of people
congregate on fidonet with the express concern of discussing your
extraordinary ability to break fidonet rules, file and threaten to
file lawsuits intimidating those who opposed you (not the gospel), and
to sling maligning and abusive language around without regard for God
or man.

I do not recall ever seeing mention of "firebombing your home", and
would have been distressed if I had. No doubt you followed the proper
channels, and have resolved any threat according to the laws of the
land which you are priveldged to live under.

The Z1_WINTER echo was the meeting place of a lot of various hub and
moderator types who developed this kind of forum when your fidonet
excommunication was recinded after threat of lawsuit. The resignation
of Larry Squire, the RC under whose adinistration you aquired a node
number after having been banished from Net 151 (if I recall) and the
demise of the authority of George Peace at the same time caused some
to suggest that you were a maniac, and a danger to fidonet as a whole.
I was interested in these developments and swapped some messages
there, exchanging experiences with others who you had harrased and
harangued. There I recorded the testimonies of your verbal abuse, and
harrasement by way of accusation and sending police to the homes of
various people who you had incited to respond by telephhoning them
late at night, and cursing them.

There are quite a number of people accross the country who have shared
that experience, and it is no more surpirsing to see them congregate
to talk about it that it is to see Polish Americans playing cards
together in a club in Pittsburg.

There was, and today remains another fidonet echo labeled
HOLY_BIBLE_FCS. Its root name derives from the HOLY_BIBLE echo which
has been the source of so much acrimony. The remaining initials stand
for FALSE CHRISTIAN SCUM, a title which you have popularized and
applied to those who challenge you on any matter at all. This echo has
been attended by trinitarians, and others in recented months. There, I
published that I was willing to discuss the doctrine of the Apostles
with people who had, upon their first encounter with Bible Truth, been
branded "scum", "reprobate" and other terms on the drop of a hat.

I have indeed monitored HOLY_BIBLE because I have a deep interest in
the kinds of disgraceful activities precede us as we reach the world
with the gospel.

There in that echo, and in other similar situations, we were able to
minister ro people who left your "cesspool" with a desire to fight
against anything so nasty as what they had experienced. You will
recall one young man who you cursed and beat up with words. After six
months and litterally hundreds of hours discussing the truth with him,
he was baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. We are thankful that God
afforded us the patience to pick up a hurting person, and to minister
to them what they were first smitten by. You will never find any
commentary written by me there which EVERY mentioned you except to:

1. Provide evidence that you have never been recommended for the work
of the gospel by any significant body of Christians,  in the public
eye. You are certainly free to preach, and do as you please, but
cannot point to those who you have cursed and treated with contempt
for a boost. Futhermore, I would prefer not to have to tell a story
every time that someone says "Hey, you are preaching the Winter
doctrine, and that stuff stinks". Rather than saying, "No, he is the
scum-bag that he calls everyone else, borrowing from your abysmal
taste and manners, I would rather simly say "He has not received the
approval which he suggests he has". Fair enough?

2. Agree in sympathy with others who have felt the same whip of your
tongue as you wield spiritual powers which you seem confused about.
There is a ministry in compassion which you have experienced and yet,
evidently forgotten.

3. Distinguish between your poor appearance, and the truth of the
gospel which you have taught with the right words and wrong attitude.
If you had repented in a reasonable space. I would have neglected to
mention this aspect.

>It was a sight to see.  There was Mark Bassett in hog heaven with an echo
>dedicated to slandering me.  It was amazing to watch how when it comes to
>Steve Winter how quickly even "oneness" reprobates, trinitarians and
>Sodomites can put aside their differences.

It is amazing how you can mix up dirt and debris and think you have
come up with wisdom!

Steve Winter did a LOT of sewing to begin to reap the results which he
saw in fidonet.

When you go down to your Karate class, do you require them all to be
Jesus name baptized? Did yo not "put aside your differences" to
receive your mail from the mailman, or to share a bit of breathing air
on the sidewalk?

Differences?

>Oh, and remember those messages you left on my answering machine... hey
>maybe I can put them up on a web page, eh?

Yes, maybe you should do as you wish.  I called your house and cursed
you and commanded you to SHUT UP, the same way you had done to me. I
YELLED that you CANNOT curse in the name of the Lord. Am I embarrased
about that? Yes. And I apologize. I have long seen now that you are a
man who as needs that only Jesus Christ can satisfy. I am sorry Steve,
that I have ever hurt your feelings.

>What about when Mr Bassett was monitoring the HOLY_BIBLE echo to see if
>any oneness posters were on there and then would send them private mail to
>slander me and convince them not to post oneness messages.

You got the details a little mixed up (doesnt surprise me) but what
about it? Don't *you* do what you feel is right?

I certainly never asked people not to post oneness messages. What I
did was to send privae mail to some of those you abused saying that
they shouldnt judge the Apostles doctrine by the impression that they
received from you, or me for that matter. Also, I did sometimes set
the record straight, since I noticed that when you thought I was
disconnected you were in the habit of dredging your old messages and
continually republishing slander regarding me. Not that you didnt do
it for my benefit also when you knew I was conntected, but, a person
has some self-respect, doesn't he?

>Scum, devil, you do have your nerve.

Yes, Steve.  I do. Thank God, the righteous are bold as a lion, and
you havent seen anything yet.

> Sue away scum, but you may already be
>involved in the action that I am pursuing regarding the Z1_WINTERS echo.

What is the "but" for? Where you waste your time does not concern me.
And, reminding you that reading the whole of a matter can benefit a
person trying to make judgements. I said that I would not do anything,
unless it was needful and the Lord instructed.

>Let me state publically that I personally know and affirm that Mark
>Bassett is a liar, he is a spiritual whore, he is a filthy reprobate, and
>he is not called or qualified for the ministry.  He is the husband of more
>than one living wife and has discussed killing the first one in telephone
>conversations with me.  -- Rev. Steve Winter (seal)

What I want to know is, who made you a Reverend, and what business
does anyone who lies as you did here have in using the title?

Steve are you ready to go to jail for perjury? The "discussion" which
you have peddled to anyone with enough time on their hands to give you
a listen was just this (as has been restated many times):

*** In talking with you, you suggested that a divorce (on biblical
grounds), preceding the time of one's salvation, does not aborgate a
marriage. I said it did (which, by the way, is the Apostolic
understanding and practice - another area where you are out on a
limb). Thus you said, (and have maintained your covenant of hatred
over this point for years) that I was unqualified for pulpit ministry
as the "husband of two wive's". (I see you have taken to adding
"living" to that). On that basis, I jested with you that, according to
your doctrine, it would be more advisable to kill my ex-wife, a sin of
which I could be forgiven,  than to reject the call of God on the
basis of sins which predated my salvation, because of the wife who had
divorced me. It was a comment, meant to be used for illustration. AND,
YOU KNOW IT. ****

This is what has convinced me that you are in serious need of help.

>Mr. Bassett, I have so much garbage an slander against me that you
>published as well as recorded phone messages, that all I can say is "Sue
>away, scum".

You neglected to mention that the other reason that you so violently
fought the Z1_WINTERS echo. It is that a number of people had launched
their own efforts to consolidate data on your violation of their
rights, and the slander you had written to and about them.

>I will continue to point out and prove that you are a liar, a reprobate, a
>spiritual whore, and TOTALLY unfit even for the title of "Christian", much
>less a preacher.

Evidently the Lord Jesus Christ does not hold the same opinion.
However, if you are interested in a Bible lesson, let me point you to
2 Sam 14-19.

If you will note the case of Shimei, of Saul's household, we see that
he had made a mistake in siding with , and fell upon the mercy King
who had recently had his own experience with repentance. As he
confessed, he said basically "Forget about what I've done". Then
appeared Abashai , who said

"Shall not Smimei be put to death for this? Because he cursed the
Lord's anointed" (19:21).

David's answer, "What do I have to do with you, that you should this
day be ADVERSARIES unto me?"

The King called the accuser, Zeruiah, his adversary. David fell upon
the Lord and foudn rock bottom only in honest repentance. The rock
held mercy. David's response to Shimei was able to supply his need ini
the same richness.

Choose Steve. Will you be Zeruiah, or Shemei?

If you will repent, you will certainly find the same in both me, and
the Lord Jesus Christ. If you do not, and you pursue after the course
which you are now walking, you cannot prosper. You are about to cross
wires with destiny, and it doesnt bend for anyone who won't heed the
voice of God.

>Know what I mean, bub?

Why don't you go back to church, Steve? It will do you well, and will
you will be received again. May the Lord honor you for your love of
the doctrine of salvation. But, you need to know how great God
*really* is.

-- http://www.pcnet.com/~mbasset/life.htm
The Whole Gospel to the Whole World    -   Life Tabernacle UPC
"Preaching the Kingdom of God, and teaching those things which concern the Lord Jesus Christ,
with all confidence, no man forbidding ... " - Acts 28:31