Amalgamation (2 pages)

Mark W. Bassett (mbasset@pcnet.com)
Sat, 14 Oct 1995 05:15:35 -0500

On Mon, 9 Oct 1995 23:13:26 -0500, you wrote:

How has this modern trend of consolidation and amalgamation affected
religion
>in America?  Christianity has not escaped the trend, but is now in the
>wrenching throes of change that will ultimately lead to a one-world church,
>which I believe will be headed by the Pope of the Catholic Church.  The word
>catholic, meaning "universal," should itself bring a startling reminder that
>Bible prophecy is being fulfilled before our very eyes!  The modern trend has
>a foreboding of the time to come.

Amen and amen. Some have focused narrowly on the issue of doctrine
when anticipating the changes (even active in our present enviroment)
which portend the final form of the harlot church. The spirit of this
world has a LOT to do with it. We are able to see the absurdity of
following every fashion but are not adept in understanding how thought
process, and convention play into determining what carnal people will
accept or reject.

>In every major city, and many smaller communities, the trend is the same. For
>many years, modest congregations have been nurtured by local pastors who feel
>a genuine burden for their flocks.  These churches usually have a high level
>of local participation with a real sense of biblical moral values, often
>propounded by generations of preachers.  Now the spirit of AMALGAMATION that
>has captured the secular-minded generation has seized the hearts and minds of
>this generation of church-goers.

Many men who have left the faith, have done so while clinging to a
vision of a "worship center" where people will come from miles around.
They recognize the draw of the mega church. Perhaps some readers have
seen numerous articles on this phenomenon in recent years. But, their
vision is *captivated* to the extent of trading away holiness and "the
belt of truth" in preparation to absorb those of difficult
(unbelieving) religious persuasions. It is interesting how the word
"Pentecost" and "church" have been abandandoned in so many cases;
traded in for "Christian" and "center".

Of course there are some GREAT large churches. Large does not equate
with errooneous. I doubt anyone would think so, but I felt to add
that.

>Seemingly the results are becoming more evident daily.  Largely, the heart
>and soul of churches have been ripped out and replaced by ceremonial,
>ritualized weekly attendance at super-theaters where they are entertained by
>everything but the Word of God.  Muscular super-power teams show off their
>brawn; Jezebels flaunt their painted faces, false eyelashes, and seductive
>figures on stage; preachers dramatically display their powder-puff faces and
>syrupy-voiced speeches with effeminate flippancy.  All this cries out:
>"HAVING A FORM OF GODLINESS BUT DENYING THE POWER THEREOF!"  This answers the
>enigma that America is more religious and less moral than ever before in its
>history.  This has puzzled many, but needs not to be considered ironic any
>longer: churches have become dens of iniquity, not worthy of the name
>Christian!

This is a great article, Bro. Your father has spoken clearly and has
compelled the reader.

>Just the opposite of The Apostle Paul's conviction is asserting itself.
> Whereas Paul declared that he would never build on another man's foundation,
>these vain seekers of fame move into town and build great buildings or
>convert theaters or warehouses into church buildings and invite one-and-all
>to "come over here where there's love and liberty!"

We heard Bro. C. Becton recount thier experiences in Tenn. in the
great '92 general conference. It was touching and all too familliar.

>    Is the same trend affecting Apostolic Pentecostal churches?  Look at most
>any large church and you will find the same tactic at work that was
>responsible for consolidating public schools: they can offer more-gymnasiums,
>bowling alleys,hand-ball courts-in general can be a poor man's country club.
> Most of what is pawned off as revival today is simply a recycling of
>saints-sheep stolen from other folds.

Is this happening? It is one of the great "under the rug" issues.

> The pastor at the little end of the inverted funnel
>becomes a bloated fat-cat having paid nothing for his moment of fame.

One wonders of the talents that such a person requires.

>  Another esteemed friend, J. T. Pugh, said he
>feels that's the way the church will exist in the end: in the secret confines
>of private homes.

Bro. Pugh *is* a prophet, I believe. The Lord has spoken to me along
these lines also.

> The idea of one church for one city borders on the
>ridiculous and screams out the vanity and ego of its advocates.
>The Denver district superintendent of a church organization which has some
>thirty churches in Denver alone, said that though only one church could be
>considered large (around 400 members), when they get together they have a
>mass gathering of several thousand.  Each of these churches lives with the
>understanding that every congregation is autonomous, totally self-ruled under
>its pastor.  Each pastor respects his neighboring pastor, giving latitude for
>him to exercise his convictions regarding teaching of personal holiness and
>standards (which, for them, I consider nil).  Nevertheless, they have
>relative peace and harmony among themselves, even though socially restricted
>to a minority section of the city-making every church a close neighbor to
>another.

>It is to the shame of church organizations when they seek to put constraints
>on the building of new congregations within a locale.

Amen.

> Again, the break-down comes
>when there is a lack of mutual respect between pastors.

Amen again.

>Recently, a pastor in a large city told me of the literally hundreds who have
>been won to God in his church during his over thirty years as pastor, who are
>now attending dozens of other congregations.  It struck me that this man, now
>in his sunset years, deserves the support of all his converts as he faces
>retirement.  Too bad.

It is a naked shame.

> My response was simple and to the
>point: had they not been received with open arms by shady, sheep-stealing
>pastors, they might have had reason to repent and stayed in their home
>church.

It takes guts, Bro.

> Repeated a thousand times, it's still true: sadly, folks no longer
>backslide, they just change churches!  Needless to say, this does not bode
>well for their salvation-nor that of the greedy, thieving scoundrel who
>welcomes them!

Red hot, man! Sometimes there ought to be a conversation which is
neglected. We rationalize that it would be best for the person to be
attending church, and therein failing to bring his *problem* home
where it belongs, do that soul a great disservice, perhaps denying him
the pastoral obligation of leading him to repentance. Sometimes a
minister is at fault. But, to assume so??? Yes, that is humiliation,
and disrespect. That is a fellowship which serves little purpose.

>Fortunately, there are still genuinely God-called ministers, who care not a
>whit for fortune or fame, but have a never-dying love for truth and an
>awesome respect for the ultimate recompense of reward.  Happy is the saint
>who has just such a shepherd!

AMEN!

-- http://www.pcnet.com/~mbasset/life.htm
The Whole Gospel to the Whole World    -   Life Tabernacle UPC
"Preaching the Kingdom of God, and teaching those things which concern the Lord Jesus Christ,
with all confidence, no man forbidding ... " - Acts 28:31