KJ Bible Versions

Mark W. Bassett (mbasset@pcnet.com)
Sun, 15 Oct 1995 04:34:32 -0500

On Sat, 14 Oct 1995 16:51:04 -0500, you wrote:

>Before I make the plunge, I would like to hear comments that you have on the
>Bibles.  I was thinking about the Ryrie version.  I am going to stay with
>King James because that is what is used at church.  I do not need to be
>reading one version while being preached to in another.

>If you have any suggestions I would appreciate hearing them.

I believe your intention to stay put with the good old book is a good
one, for many reasons. You may or may not be aware that the question
of translational difficulties and textual criticism is a very hot
topic across the table of christiandom, in the USA. While the various
parties in the arguments are in themselves, often flawed and pathetic,
I believe the general awareness of these matters is VERY important. It
would do everyone well to investigate:

* the origin and canon of scriptures
* the history of the translation process, and various parties involved
* the influence of verbal structure upon mental congition
* the importance of the word, and its proper study

In the simplest case, one might ask, "Why should I believe the
Bible?". IN these present times, we face the challenge of conveying a
motivating and understandable answer to a populous which may never do
as they ought, and investigate the text. We need to know what IS the
Bible, and what IS NOT. Moslems are often acutely aware of some of the
problems which wide acceptance of numerous translations (which
underneath are actually contradictory in implication, and sometimes on
the face of the reading) have dealt to those who would decree the
infalibility of the scriptures.

Interesting question. Shall we go deeper?

-- http://www.pcnet.com/~mbasset/life.htm
The Whole Gospel to the Whole World    -   Life Tabernacle UPC
"Preaching the Kingdom of God, and teaching those things which concern the Lord Jesus Christ,
with all confidence, no man forbidding ... " - Acts 28:31