Jesus name baptism

Mark W. Bassett (mbasset@pcnet.com)
Tue, 17 Oct 1995 15:30:03 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 17 Oct 1995 09:41:06 -0400, you wrote:

>Not only do you show an ignorance of the New Testament, but of the history of
>Christianity!

No, I am substantially aware of the history of Christiandom, but not
in accord with every tradition.

>There is nothing arbitrary about applying Jesus' name as His authority --
>that is what it means in every usage in the New Testament.

It is arbitrary to state that the name of Jesus is given as authority,
and to then fail to call it in water baptism. One might as well say
that the titles (Matt 28:19) are given for authority and then apply
the name for remission of sins. The later would be safer as it does
emulate the acts of the Apostles.

 There are a preponderance of reasons for the use of the name in
baptism, including the written example of the Apostles.

>As to the practice of the apostles, there is very little reference to the
>"formula" they used in baptism anywhere in the New Testament; but within the
>lifetime of the apostle John, his disciples were baptizing in the name of the
>holy Trinity.

No doubt you rely upon some opinions concerning the dating of the
Didache to make such a statement. We do not have to leave the
scriptures to hear Paul assure that during his lifetime, there were
many who had left the doctrine of the Apostles already.

> And that has been the consistent practice lo these many centuries.

I have no argument with this.

>How odd that suddenly some people would "discover" that everyone else has
>been in error.

It is well documented that there have been people persecuted by Rome,
and other sects for continuing in the doctrine of the Apostles
throughout the centuries. There is no re-dicovery, but if a orthodox
trinitarian were to suddenly see the truth of this, it would indeed
amount to a personal discovery.

Being in a majority is not a Biblical formula for judging correct
doctrine.

>By the way, have you ever noticed how much Paul down-played the significance
>of water baptism?

Another arbitrary comment. 1 Corinthians chapter 1 is the usualy
source of this idea. I *do* realize that Paul was angry with the
inclination which the Corinthian Christians had to secure sectarian
pride by association with certain people. He did not downplay water
baptism except to restore it to its proper perpective. The local
ministry did indeed baptize, and he stated that he did not want to be
a part of the "who's who" game, as did many of that body. In many
other passages  such as Romans 6, and Col 2, Paul teaches the
effectual operation of the ordinance of baptism.

>I'm well aware of the distortions of the UPC in this and other areas, so you
>aren't going to teach me anything new.  Your group is another one of those
>blips on the horizon which come along now and then; but fortunately, God sees
>to it that His truth remains.

You have an uninformed point of view, sir. Though the UPC does not by
any means include all of the Aposolics in the USA, and is FAR from
representiing the Oneness Christians who obey the Bible in the world,
we are among the ten largest "denominations" in the US, and of the
three projected to grow within the next five years, we are one.

And Don, God does indeed see to it that His truth remains, and that is
why there is such a large and growing presence in this present world,
when humanity is facing the coming of the Lord and final judgement.
Isn't God good!

Perhaps you rejoice for the sharp increase of Jehovah's Witnesses, or
Mormons, or protestant sects that deny that righteousness out to
proceed from a relationship with God in holy living. Perhaps you joy
is that the papal influence is on the increase in the United States. I
don't know.  But I, and God both find it strange that one would take
time out of his day to sneer upon the suggestion that the Highest Name
be given the place it is due according to His servants the Apostles.

It is Jesus Christ who is the pattern by which all things are made.
The use of his name in baptism is hardly new, and its merits are not
arcane.

-- http://www.pcnet.com/~mbasset/life.htm
The Whole Gospel to the Whole World    -   Life Tabernacle UPC
"Preaching the Kingdom of God, and teaching those things which concern the Lord Jesus Christ,
with all confidence, no man forbidding ... " - Acts 28:31