Doubting Thomas

Richard Masoner (richardm@cd.com)
Mon, 23 Oct 1995 18:32:28 -0500 (CDT)

R.J. Brown wrote:

> The significant thing about that experience was that although I had
> been baptized in February, and seeking at the altar since then, I had
> also been an athiest for 14 years before that, and still had serious
> doubts about the existence of God, even though I was devoting
> considerable time to the study of his Word and attendence at services.
> My prayers always went something like "Oh God (if there is a God)...",
> which is not the way to receive the Holy Ghost, but I couldn't help
> it.  How could I pray in honesty to a being that I was not sure even
> existed?  Well, after He spoke to me, in an audible voice, I deleted
> the parenthetical expression from the prelude to my prayers, and
> received the Holy Ghost a few short days later!

I was also essentially atheist before I became convinced of the truth of
who Jesus is.  Even then, I didn't know any Christians and was working
on a crazy theory that the real church was raptured up sometime before
400 A.D.  But then I visited Life Tabernacle UPC in Wichita Falls Texas.

It was several months before I actually submitted to baptism and
receiving the Spirit of God, that visit would eventually change my life!

Richard