Death before Eden?

Anthony Qualls (aqualls@ct.net)
Sun, 29 Oct 1995 14:23:42 -0600 (CST)

At 06:43 PM 10/26/95 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi folks,
>As a scientist, I am often faced with data from geology and anthropology
>which claims that there were animals on the earth that lived and died
>hundreds of thousands of years ago. Yet the Bible seems to say that Eden
>existed approximately six thousand years ago. The question I ponder is -
>was there death before Eden, or did death come into the world only as a
>result of Adam's sin? How can we reconcile the fossil record, if we believe
>it, with what the Bible says in Genesis.
>I have some ideas - would you like to share yours :-)
>
>=====================================
>David Cantillo                          cantillo@benedictine.edu

I can think of two theories concerning dating of fossils.  One that I heard
recently was (and this isn't mine) is that each of the days of creation was
not only a 24 hour period but a non-specified amount of time.  One of the
arguments they gave was the verse in the bible where "a thousand years with
the Lord is as a day and a day as a thousand years."  They also brought out
that we are possibily still in the sixth day of creation since God created
man on the sixth day and men are still being born today.  The seventh day of
creation on which God rested will be the 1000 year millennial reign.  I
really haven't had time to study this recently but its a thought to discuss.

Anthony