linker script parse error

thunder7@xs4all.nl (thunder7@xs4all.nl)
Sat, 3 Apr 1999 09:17:24 +0100

On Fri, Apr 02, 1999 at 02:29:10PM -0500, Kurt Werth wrote:

> I'm attempting to build a cross compiler hosted on a Solaris 2.6 box for
> a i386-linux target. I'm using gcc-2.8.1 (with crossgcc patch installed),
> binutils-2.9.1 and newlib-1.8.1. I've run one-tree-1.5.sh to setup the
> one pass install, and run configure and make like so:
>
> ./configure --target="i386-*-linux-gnu" --prefix=/sw2/gccx386 -v
> make all install
>
> I'm getting this linker script error:
>
> Testing libgcc1.  Ignore linker warning messages.
> /sw2/gccx386/build/gcc/xgcc -B/sw2/gccx386/build/gcc/ -DCROSS_COMPILE -DIN_GCC
> -DSVR4  -g -O2 -I./include  libgcc1-test.o -o libgcc1-test \
>   -nostartfiles -nostdlib `/sw2/gccx386/build/gcc/xgcc -B/sw2/gccx386/build/gcc/
> --print-libgcc-file-name`
> /sw2/gccx386/build/gcc/ld:built in linker script:5: parse error
>

> I've found a similar problem and subsequent solution in the archives for a
> compiler for a DOS target, but that solution doesn't work for me. I've looked
> through the files in binutils-2.9.1/ld/scripttempl, since that appears to
> be where the problem for the DOS target was, but I don't know which template
> my build is using in there (if any) plus I really don't know what I'm looking
> for.
>
> Anyone run into this already?  I'd appreciate any ideas or a kick in the right
> direction. Thanks in advance, I will summarize ...
>
> --
I was the one with the DOS-problems, and although I cannot check it at
the moment, it stands to reason you would use a script with 'elf' in the
name somewhere, since that is the object-file-format that linux uses
nowadays. In the dos-case, there was an obviously incorrect number of
accolades, lines like
{{{ do something };
that were wrong.

Good luck,
Jurriaan
--
Silence is the most perfect expression of scorn.
        Bernard Shaw