Re: Scope resolution operator

Mark R. Bowyer writes:

> Chuck Admas wrote:
> > Is there any chance we could get a scope resolution operator or
> > function for MOO?  With that, we could properly implement many things
> > that have to use $utils now, i.e.
> >
> > $object_utils:isa(obj, thing) ---> obj:$root_class::isa(thing)
> >
> > A new pass() function that lets you specify whichj parent to pass() to
> > could be incredibly useful.  Let's say you don't trust your PC owner
> > not to mess with your :confunc (and you don't want to change player
> > classes just yet).
>
> I'm sure anyone who has written an HTML generating verb on an object way up
> in a hierachy on a Webbed MOO would find this addition a god-send.

I won't be adding anything like this; it violates the semantics of
verb-overriding and could therefore make it very hard to maintain consistency
in the state managed by some intermediate object.  A better, cleaner approach
to this sort of issue is non-overridable verbs; I don't have any plans to
implement them, either, in the limited remainder of my time hacking on the
server, but I don't object to them, either.

	Pavel