Emacs as an editor

At the risk of looking like even more of a newbie, I have to ask these
questions.

I was looking for a way to avoid using the built-in editor, and was pointed
towards the emacs script.

I got the script, but since I know nothing of emacs, I cannot run it. The
comments in the file say:

     "To use this code, simply load it and say M-x clpmud"

I'm tipping that loading doesn't mean just opening the file in the emacs
editor.

I'm sorry for asking such questions on here, but I can't start programming
until I get a proper editing environment.

Are there any other clients which can replace the editor? For Windows, Unix,
anything?

TIA.

Avi

Home | Subject Index | Thread Index