Re: Floats? (was Re: Wishful thinking)

Christopher Scott Delaney <cdelaney@indiana.edu> writeth:
>On Wed, 17 Jan 1996, Tom Ritchford wrote:
[snip]
>> The problem is that floats are slow and can be large.
>
>We've used floating point functions for over a year now on a MOO I'm
>helping to develop. (read: not yet open to the public).  They are, in
>fact, very useful and not slow at all if coded correctly.  And we aren't
>using them to represent the entire universe, just the area surrounding
>Jupiter and its MOOns :)

Well, certainly direct experience is the most important.

But what could you be doing with floating point numbers
that couldn't be done with ints and a suitable choice
of scale?  (ie -- 1 corresponds to 1 microgram or
1 millimeter or...)

The mind boggles!

    /t

Tom Ritchford     tom@mvision.com, tom@weirdos.com

Verge's "Little Idiot" -- Music for the mentally peculiar.
1-800-WEIRDOS           http://www.fly.net/~tom/verge.html