Re: Adding MANY players at once

PILOSOF AVI wrote:

> The moo we are setting up here will be such that people login from a VMS
> based system. When they choose the MOO menu item, they will be automagically
> logged in using their login name and some auto-generated password.
>
> The problem is that we need to add these users in the first place, and we're
> talking about several hundred to begin with.
>
> I have the list of users, formatted however I want, etc, etc, etc.
>
> The original thought was to write a unix shell script to telnet to the moo
> host for each name, and send a "create <name> <pass>" to the host. However,
> I can't think of a way to do this, since once telnet starts, I doubt I can
> send a string to its port from the unix shell.

This _should_ work:

#!/bin/csh
# setup_player <name> <password>
set user = $1
set pass = $2
echo "create $user $pass" > .setup_player.data
echo "@quit" >> .setup_player.data
telnet mymoo.tafensw.edu.au 8888 < .setup_player.data > .setup_player.out
rm .setup_player.data

Then you can perform whatever checks on .setup_player.out you want to decide if the
player creation was a success or not

Phantom