MOO-cows Mailing List Archive

[Prev][Index][Thread]

Re: xerox copyright

>It looks like you can.. here is the copyright notice displayed on just
>about every file:
>
># Copyright (c) 1992, 1995, 1996 Xerox Corporation.  All rights reserved.
... etc.

Yah, we were hoping ourselves that this license would be reason enough...
But xerox's lawyers aren't ready to say that *they* approved this piece of
software for distribution, or approved that license agreement. They said
explicitly that pavel didn't have the authority to speak on behalf of xerox
on this matter, if it's the case that he added this license onto his code
himself.

BTW: To everyone, if this isn't the best place to talk about this aspect of
lambda, then some of us can take it offline or something -- but I'm
beginning to think that it's curious that despite how many of us there are
running MOOs, none of us are actually sure that we have permission to use
them for our various needs... I think it would be a real boon to get this
sorted out once and for all, even if it means paying xerox a fee for
commercial use, or going through a formal registration process, etc.

-canton