Re: anyone ever gotten xerox to clarify the MOO license before?

At 06:52 PM 1/08/97 -0600, Robert J. Brown wrote:
>My suggestion regarding the GPL had to to with the condition in the
>GPL that derivitive works inherit the same terms as the original work,
>not that they weren't copyrightable.  This would mean that MOO would
>have to be freely available *WITH SOURCES* because it was derived from
>an original GPLed work.

Ah! I understand you now.  Yeah, you're right.  Under the GNU/Free Software
Foundation's General Public License <http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html>,
Xerox would be obligated to make the server software available for free.
For folk's reference, the relevant section is:

    3.
      2. You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in whole
         or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any part
thereof,
         to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third parties under the
         terms of this License.

It works for me.  :)
   Eric Mercer <mercere@netcom.ca>  phone and fax (404) 685-0918
   DU Services, Manager             http://www.du.org/duSvcs
   Diversity University, Inc.       http://www.du.org
=  DU is a non-profit company that develops, disseminates, and   =
=  provides training in educational internet tools, emphasizing  =
=  interactive, multiuser, virtual reality worlds for schools.   =