The concept of "wizardly ethics"

   Received-Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 16:33:58 -0800 (PST)
   Posted-Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 16:33:49 -0800 (PST)
   Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 19:37:50 -0500
   From: "David J. Slater" <jonathan@smarty.smart.net>

   I commend most of what you have to say. I would say most wizards
   acknowledge community responsibility and would be surprised if you
   make $network:sendmail available to guests.

I think there are two kinds of community responsibility here---I was
disclaiming only one sort.  Indeed, I attempt to make my systems
unavailable as a launch point for other people's illicit network
activities.  But I don't claim to be part of a corps of wizards who
as an organization police our members.  That is the community
responsibility I explicitly disclaim---or perhaps it is the community
*membership* I am refusing.

      Judy Anderson yclept yduJ          'yduJ' rhymes with 'fudge'
 yduJ@cs.stanford.edu (personal mail)   yduJ@harlequin.com (work-related)
	Join the League for Programming Freedom, lpf@uunet.uu.net

Home | Subject Index | Thread Index