Re: The concept of "wizardly ethics"

On Mon, 26 Feb 1996, Kenneth L. Bolton wrote:

> <snip> When one of the guests from the remote locations
> began acting up, spamming the discussion, insulting the participants,
> acting unreasonably aggresive toward others of the guests, the
> responsibility fell to me to @toad the bozo.
This is infact the purpose for toad...but:

> <snip> Ñ the toadee was the professor of one of the
> other classes and it affected my grade.
This is an understandable problem. I myself will opt for booting the
player before toading, expecialy if it's someone who can affect grades.

> ken
One solution is to use an alias when setting up your wizard accounts.
However, for most of us it's far too late. You could @rename yourself but
when someone else sees you typing and holds a conversation with you, it's
kinda hard to avoid the situation. The other option is no to toad the
person but demote them to a programmer. (difficult, but not impossable)
However I can understand the complexity of the problem. I myself would
make a lengthy note explaning the behavior of the @toad-ed wiz and mail
it to the @toad-ie with carbon copies to your moo user list. (I assume
you have one) This will explain your actions while at the same time
assure all users that you do not like to do it, but have to.

 /================ e-mail: jlarson@mosquito.frcc.cccoes.edu =====___n___===\
 || \      oo  Joseph Larson ||      TARDIS EXPRESS: When it     |__|__|  ||
 ||  \____|\mm    J(O/SE)^ph || really has to be there YESTERDAY |[]|[]|  ||
    /K-9/  \/_/   "There's nothing out there you can't do,       |[]|[]|JaL
   /___/_____\     Yea, even Santa Claus believes in you!"       =======