Re: FUP and LAG

At 01:31 PM 2/26/97 PST, Edward L. Haletky wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Just a quick note to let you all know that FUP is BAD. We thought it could
>be very useful but it ended up costing us nearly a diskdrive, a few machine
>crashes, and huge amount of lag when being accessed.
>
>So we ripped it out this AM. Only thing FUP'd now is our Help.

you might be having the same problem I have been having, which everyone
else insists is not a bug.
When I do something like fileread("",".") it will hang up the server and
the process size will increase until the whole MOO crashes. This never did
anything bad to the hard drive though. Meanwhile, the MOO was not
responding to any commands people typed and only a kill -9 could stop it.

I too had FUPped help, and that's where the problem was, because people
were typoing and doing things like ?. and ?> and crashing it by accident.
So basically I just made a $bf_fileread/etc that made sure the file being
looked for wasn't . or .. and didn't contain any of [;:<>'|] or space
characters in it, and it works fine.

I use fileio for help topics now, but still use FUP too because I need
filegrep().