Re: [NEWBIE] Info (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 1996 11:42:14 -0500 (EST)
From: Stephen Sayer <ssayer@hijinx.com>
To: Joe Shaw <joeshaw@eskimo.com>
Subject: Re: [NEWBIE] Info

> With the recent flood of apparently newbie questions, I would like to
> point the new members of our happy family to the following sources of
> information:
>
> First and foremost, you should read the LambdaMOO programmers guide. If
> you're thinking of running a MOO, you've gotta read this. You can get it
> (updated for version 1.7.9p2) at parcftp.xerox.com:/pub/MOO. Its in all
> sorts of formats.
>
> Second, read the MOO-cows FAQ. Its on the web exclusivly now. I don't
> remember the URL (sorry), but it was just posted here a few days ago. The
> URL is posted every month or if it changes.
>
> Third, check out the MOO-cows archives. The WWW edition isn't entirely up
> to date, but its cross indexed and searchable from Alta Vista. The URL is
> http://shrike.depaul.edu/~abakun/moomail/. The plain text versions are
> available from parcftp.xerox.com:/pub/MOO/mail.
>
> Personally, I have always considered this list for MOO administrators who
> are hacking the server, looking to do a rather complex job, etc., and not
> a "How do I program in MOO" list. The best MOO to go to to learn how to
> program is LambdaMOO (lambda.parc.xerox.com 8888), but the best way to
> learn IMO is to set up your own and play.
>
> I don't mean to be rude by this message, but it seems that of late, a
> disturbing amount of mail on basic topics has flooded my mailbox, and I
> thought that this message might be the best pointer for the newbies.
>
> Joe

There is another newbie resource that we should point out since you brought it
up and that's the moo-calves group. Subscription to the mailing list can be
achieved by sending 'subscribe moo-calves' in the body of a message to
Mjd@ccat.sas.upenn.edu and the home page can be hit at
http://lucien.sims.berkeley.edu/moo.html.

The moo-calves group has been meeting online about once a month.

It's obviously not just for newbies... experienced programmers, wizards and
arch-wizards are needed to address newbie questions. Those who wish to
contribute to or benefit from this effort should certainly feel welcome to
participate.

Later,

<SS>

--
{ssayer@hijinx.com | ssayer@rust.net | ssayer@umcc.umich.edu}
ArchWizard of HijinxMOO - <telnet://hijinx.aisys.com:8888>

Home | Subject Index | Thread Index