Re: The future of MOO

Yes, MOO is amazingly useful.
I did a 45-page science report on predator-prey relationships using
robots in an arena that shot lasers at each other.  The red ones shot
double-power lasers at half speed, and the green ones shot half-power
lasers at double speed.  I had a title page, 3 pages of info, and 41
pages of logs.  The teacher barely understood it, and enjoyed my hands-on
demonstration from the school library's modem.

And I got 102% :)

Point is, MOO is so amazingly versatile.  That took me under 2 hours to
complete.  And I've tried many other things with it.  It works for all of
them.  But the question is, how will we use this versatility?  I think at
the current rate of expansion (which includes decline of course, but in
a far lesser quantity), MOO will continue long into the future.

As for the MOO/Cold thing, well, someone should make a MOO server with
all LambdaMOO functions including ones removed in Cold, and vice versa.  You
tell it what you want to convert to, it tells you which functions from
LambdaMOO are unusable in Cold, and again, vice versa.  It doesn't need
to define the code for these, it just needs to say 'This won't work,
change it.'

 - Wisq

On Fri, 28 Feb 1997, Jan Rune Holmevik wrote:

> The question about the future of MOO and whether this technology is now
> dead, is one that has surfaced here on this list many times over the past
> three years that I have subscribed. Personally I feel that MOO is still a
> viable technology and will continue to be so for many years to come, IF
> people believe in it and continue to make it better. There are many
> reasons that support this claim. In academia, which is the sector I know
> best, MOOs have gained recognition on a scale that no other MU*
> technology has. The reason for this is that people associated with MOOs
> like MediaMOO, Diversity University and numerous others (see the
> GNA-Network) have championed the cause of bringing MOO in from the cold
> (no pun intended). Over the past three years I have seen a growing number
> of conference presentations, research papers and publications dealing
> with various aspects of MOO and it's use. All this groundwork now finally
> seems to pay off because administrators and others with money are finally
> starting to see the benefits of MOO. When we have gotten this far it is
> my opinion that we should close the ranks and not flee the ship.
>
> I will not comment on whether Cold is a better server than MOO, except to
> say that unless there is an easy way to get an existing MOO database to
> run under Cold very few of those who run larger MOOs today are going to
> switch. Most MOOs that have been around for a while have too much
> invested in the database and user base to simply trash it and start over.
>
> Cheers,
> Jan@Lingua MOO
>
> __Jan Rune Holmevik, Cand Philol_____________________________________
> University of Bergen