[kbobrow@parc.xerox.com: Re: dictionary server?]

From: "Kimberly Bobrow" <kbobrow@parc.xerox.com>
To: "MOO-COWS" <moo-cows@parc.xerox.com>,
        "Jacqueline Hamilton" <kira@metronet.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 03:48:31 PST
Subject: Re: dictionary server?
Sender: MOO-Cows-Errors@parc.xerox.com

On Tue, 11 Mar 1997 06:45:07 PST, Jacqueline Hamilton wrote:

>We've got scrabble on our MOO and had a "lookup" verb that would query the
>dictionary server at citi.umich.edu 2627.  However that server seems to
>have up and died, and I'm having a hard time finding any others.  Anyone
>know of a non-web-based dictionary server I can point to?

I have the same habit, and the same problem, and also haven't been
able to find anything...the old one got 'upgraded' to a web version -
bleah!

I moo-mailed with someone on Lambda who thought he might be writing
something to strip the html off one of the web versions, and offerred
to share it.  If he doesn't end up doing it before too long I'll
probably do it myself, and I'll be happy to share.  If he does it,
I'll ask if I (or he can, if he's on here - I don't know his real
name) can post it here.

Of course, if anyone finds another webster server, please do post
about it here!

- --Kimberly
 Kimberly Bobrow             Hobbes on PuebloMoo
 kbobrow@parc.xerox.com      She's e-mailing, she must be
 kimberly@soho.ios.com       having an out-of-moo experience!
 A wizard's work is never done, but that's okay, it's mostly all fun!