[nop@kagoona.mitre.org: Re: MOO server 1.8.0p6 under IRIX 6.2]

From: Jay Carlson <nop@kagoona.mitre.org>
To: Eric Mercer <mercere@netcom.ca>
cc: moo-cows@parc.xerox.com
Subject: Re: MOO server 1.8.0p6 under IRIX 6.2
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 11:09:36 PST
Sender: MOO-Cows-Errors@parc.xerox.com

> We're trying to get the MOO server version 1.8.0p6 to compile under SGI
> IRIX OS 6.2 and seeing lots of problems.  The system's other critical info
> is: gcc 2.7.1 (might have been upgraded to gcc 2.7.2.1), full SGI MIPSPro
> 7.1 compiler, IDO7.1.  If anyone has gotten any of the MOO 1.8.0 server
> versions to compile under IRIX 6.2, we'd really appreciate some hints about
> what was needed.

I think what's happening here is that the autoconf script is, for
currently unknown reasons, forcing -U__EXTENSIONS__ into CFLAGS not
only for the eventual Makefile but also for all the tests performed
during the autoconfiguration process.  -U__EXTENSIONS__ doesn't appear
to be useful for 6.2 with the MIPSPro compiler.

Note that simply changing the eventual Makefile to not use
- -U__EXTENSIONS__ won't work, as autoconf will have gotten a lot of
wrong answers during the test process.

BTW, it turns out that what would normally be The Right Thing for
compatibility---setting -ansiposix as a flag to the compiler---doesn't
work.  SGI yacc-generated parsers call gettxt(), which isn't available
outside of -xansi.  This is a pretty stupid bug, and if you have an
SGI service contract I'd appreciate you complaining to them about it.

1.8.0p6 built cleanly on a random 6.2 box with MIPSPro cc (version
currently unknown, sorry) after I applied the attached patch.  Things
broke horribly under 6.4.  At some point, we're going to have to bite
the bullet and rewrite the MOO autoconf scripts to work with autoconf
2.x and start adding support for the idiosyncrasies of modern
machines....

$ diff -c configure.orig configure
*** configure.orig      Tue Mar 11 17:55:18 1997
- --- configure   Tue Mar 11 17:55:27 1997
***************
*** 399,405 ****
  eval "$CPP conftest.c > conftest.out 2>&1"
  if egrep "yes" conftest.out >/dev/null 2>&1; then
    rm -rf conftest*
!   CC="$CC -U__EXTENSIONS__"

  fi
  rm -f conftest*
- --- 399,405 ----
  eval "$CPP conftest.c > conftest.out 2>&1"
  if egrep "yes" conftest.out >/dev/null 2>&1; then
    rm -rf conftest*
!   CC="$CC"

  fi
  rm -f conftest*

- --
Jay Carlson    nop@nop.com    nop@kagoona.mitre.org

Flat text is just *never* what you want.   ---stephen p spackman