[rj@eli.wariat.org: Re: security]

Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 13:55:33 PST
From: "Robert J. Brown" <rj@eli.wariat.org>
To: shumat2@pegasus.hud.ac.uk
CC: moo-cows@parc.xerox.com
Subject: Re: security
Sender: MOO-Cows-Errors@parc.xerox.com

    A> As a new wizard, commissioned to set up and run a new MOO for
    A> CAL, I'm discussing security issues with personnel who are in a
    A> position to kell the project if the security is not to their
    A> satisfaction.

    A> Their particular concern is to avoid players gaining access to
    A> the MOO server root and thence to other machines on the
    A> network.

    A> Does anyone have personal experience of this happening?  Does
    A> anyone have knowledge of this happening elsewhere?  What was
    A> done to counterract it?  Are there any references to
    A> theoretical discussions of the subject?

    A> Andrew Teal

A good reference, although rather general, is the O'Rielly book "Unix
and Internet security", or something like that.  Be sure and get the
1996 edition.  It is a yellow and white cover with black lettering,
and shows a safe on the cover.

- --
- --------  "And there came a writing to him from Elijah"  [2Ch 21:12]  --------
Robert Jay Brown III  rj@eli.wariat.org  http://eli.wariat.org  1 847 705-0424
Elijah Laboratories Inc.;  37 South Greenwood Avenue;  Palatine, IL 60067-6328
- -----  M o d e l i n g   t h e   M e t h o d s   o f   t h e   M i n d  ------