Re: MOO binaries

On Tue, 2 Apr 1996, Justin C Harris wrote:

> 	I have a MOO binary running (v1.8.0p2) with a Oct94 DB without $spell.
> After it had been up, I noticed three files in the directory. The 'moo'
> executable, my db, and a 13 meg 'core' file. I was wondering if the core
> file is supposed to be 13 megs?? If so why?

A core file is copy of the contents of the memory that a process is using
when it terminates abnormally.  It's size will be the same as the amount
of memory that the server is using at the time it crashes.

Depending on the size of your database, 13 megs is either normal,
abnormally small, or abnormally large.  I would expect that a 13 meg core
file would be roughly typical of a database that was around three to six
megs in size, my guess being around five.  If you are working with a small
database, then it's possible that the server terminated abnormally due to
a task using a large amount of memory (some huge list in a variable) or
something similar.

> Also, where is the server log
> kept for the binary MOO? Please e-mail me with any information you could
> lend a fellow wizard. Also, is there any kind of README files on the binaries
> or any documents about them? Please point me to them if they exist. Thanks
> in advance.

If you're using the provided restart script (and if you're not, you
should be) your database log is in <whatever>.db.new.  If you're not
using the script, then your database log is whereever you redirected the
output of the server.

As far as documentation, I assume you mean specific to precompiled binaries?
Probably your best bet in this case is to retrieve the
LambdaMOO-latest.tar.Z, uncompress and untar it, and read the README,
simply skippping the steps pertaining to compiling the server.  The
restart script also comes with this; you'll want it.

You might also want to read the previously mentioned "New ArchWiz FAQ" (at
gopher://moon.pepperdine.edu:70/00/gsep/technical/mud-moo/new-archwiz-faq.txt)
.  Although you've obviously done most of the stuff to get up and
running, you may still find it helpful.

  --Chris                           cunkel@engin.umich.edu
    ResComp Network Support Technician, Bursley Hall
    "Invisibility is in the eye of the beholder."
    Home Page: http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~cunkel/