Re: Task RAM-usage limits...

IMHO, Panic is a worst thing for a server than simply killing a task like
MOO... But, like Pavel wrote, limiting a tasks size in the MOO is a
low-level feature that need to think about at the first steps in the
developpement of the server.
I'm not really expert in server developpement but I thing that the best
way to avoid Panic is to isolate the task to the main server. Our own MUD
runs on a client of the main server and are support by crontab job that's
looking if the MUD runs and restart it if necessary. The cron itself is
run on the main server and are completely isolate from the rest. I don't
know if that mesures preserve all the server from any panic cause by the
MUD, but they seem to work with most of the tasks that the server have to
run (something like /* or programmation errors in the same way of this
example...)

An other way can be a memory limiter who isolated the moos. Something
like what we fund in MacOS or NT but, may be, with less security. The
program would do something like reserving a amount of memory for the moo
and don't let it grow over it... Maybe the moo sometimes fell down out of
ressources but just the moo, not the entire server... If your crontab is
well set, your moo will be restarted in the next minutes...

The problems is that I never heard nothing about a program like this and
it must be really OS specifics...

Fabien Ninoles aka the Baggus Mage
ninf01@gel.usherb.ca

PS: Sorry about my english... I'm trying to improve it but I don't have a
gift for language (except computer language :/ )