Re: Task RAM-usage limits...

Followup to:  <Pine.SOL.3.91.960420093932.3975C-100000@pollux>
By author:    Fabien Ninoles <ninf01@gel.usherb.ca>
In newsgroup: local.moo

> IMHO, Panic is a worst thing for a server than simply killing a task like
> MOO... But, like Pavel wrote, limiting a tasks size in the MOO is a
> low-level feature that need to think about at the first steps in the
> developpement of the server.
> I'm not really expert in server developpement but I thing that the best
> way to avoid Panic is to isolate the task to the main server. Our own MUD
> runs on a client of the main server and are support by crontab job that's
> looking if the MUD runs and restart it if necessary. The cron itself is
> run on the main server and are completely isolate from the rest. I don't
> know if that mesures preserve all the server from any panic cause by the
> MUD, but they seem to work with most of the tasks that the server have to
> run (something like /* or programmation errors in the same way of this
> example...)

Note most Unices have a function called ulimit(), usually available as
"ulimit" (sh/bash/ksh/zsh) or "limit" (csh/tcsh) from the shell.  That
should take care of that; once the MOO hits it resource limit any
further malloc() (really, sbrk()) will fail, and the MOO server might
panic, but the system will not.

	-hpa

--
PGP public key available - finger hpa@zytor.com
"The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens."  --  Bahá'u'lláh