Re: MOO-Cows Digest V1 #440

On Sat, 20 Apr 1996 MOO-Cows-Errors@parc.xerox.com wrote:
> Date: Sat, 20 Apr 1996 18:55:03 -0400
> From: Erik Ostrom <eostrom@k2.ccs.neu.edu>
>
> > 	It is dangerous to draw direct analogies between objects in C++
> > and MOO
>
> No kidding.  C++ was designed... [deleted]
> MOO was designed to be ...  safe for many programmers at once, and i
> arguably easy to learn and use.

 If I might just add a little comment here..
 MOO has provided an opportunity for a small group of young programmers
(some of whom read this list) to learn about inheiritance, message
passing, code reuse, concurrency issues, interface abstraction, etcetera
-- all within a hands-on fun environment!  (Well, virtually hands-on.)
 They learned about all these advanced CS issues just because they wanted
to be able to extend their virtual world in new and interesting ways.
This is really cool! Thanks, Pavel and the rest of the MOO contributors!!

 IMHO, MOO seems to be about the perfect way to learn OO.  As a first
step, at least.

 (I keep telling my little brother to stop saying "Wow, C/C++ looks almost
like MOO", and that it's the other way around :) :)

--
       [s]teven [r] [l]oomis      -   srl@monkey.sbay.org (strcpy)   sysop of
http://www.monkey.sbay.org/~srl/  -   san jose, ca, usa                monkey

Home | Subject Index | Thread Index