Re: my kingdom for a hash table!

What it looks like we are trying to re-invent here is the same binding
mechanism that Lisp has used for literally decades.  The simple linear
approach results in deep binding, while there are faster techniques
available that use a combination of hashed and linear search, know as
shallow binding.  Most modern lisp systems use a shallow binding
mechanism to manage the OBLIST (Lisp's symbol table).  Perhaps Miss
Bobrow, our list moderator/owner, could give us a reference to some
online material that discusses these concepts in more detail.  John
Allen's excellent book "The Anatomy of Lisp (1979?)" goes into great
detail on this subject, although it is rather dated nowdays.

--
--------  "And there came a writing to him from Elijah"  [2Ch 21:12]  --------
Robert Jay Brown III  rj@eli.wariat.org  http://eli.wariat.org  1 847 705-0424