Re: mysterious LambdaMOO startup stall

At 7:07 PM 4/26/96, Pavel Curtis wrote:

        [...]

>This suggests a theory to me, but to explain it I'll have to describe something
>of how the parent/children and location/contents hierarchies are actually
>represented in memory.

Pavel, thanks. You were absolutely right. For reason I don't
fully understand (I inherited this code), our shopkeeper's, when
they ordered products, got an object called a "crate", and another
called a "buyable" to represent the contents of the crate.
When the stuff all sold and the crate was empty, the crate
was recycled -- but, the buyable was not. However it would
disappear from the storekeeper's owned_objects, while still
pointing to the storekeeper as it's owner.

        [...]

>You said in your MOO-Cows posting that this behavior happens under 1.7.8p4 as
>well as 1.8.0p4, but that it only started happening recently.  How long has it
>been since you rebooted your server?  Could it be that something like what I
>described above has happened *just since that previous reboot*?

        [...]

The MOO ran without shutdown or crash from Dec. 5th, 1995 to
April 23, 1996. I didn't become aware of the proliferation
of objects until trying to restart the MOO, which took about
5 days. It turned out there were over 50,000 groatless "buyables"
floating around.

Now that's fixed, what do you make of this:

@list #360:clear_the_store
#360:"clear_the_store"   none none none
 1:  "";
 2:  dwarf_store = this:store();
 3:  this:say("Get Out! Get Out! Hie Thee Hence!");
 4:  for thing in (dwarf_store.contents)
 5:    $command_utils:suspend_if_needed(0);
 6:    if (parent(thing) == $g.customer)
 7:      player:tell("          ", this.name, " (", this, ") throwing out
shopper: ", thing.name);
 8:      "thing:abort_shopping();";
 9:      thing:go_home();
10:    endif
11:  endfor

@edit #360:clear_the_store
#60:verbname_match, line 2:  Type mismatch
... called from #60:find_verb_named, line 11
... called from #50:parse_invoke, line 35
... called from #51:invoke (this == #50), line 37
... called from #59:@edit (this == #2), line 6
(End of traceback)

@rmverb #360:clear_the_store
#60:verbname_match, line 2:  Type mismatch
... called from #60:find_last_verb_named, line 15
... called from #59:@rmverb (this == #2), line 18
(End of traceback)

        Right now I can't get MacMoose working, and I can't
use @edit -- the only facility I have is the Muddweller "send file".

thanks,
Brian

---------------
Brian M. Slator, The Institute for the Learning Sciences
slator@ils.nwu.edu              http://www.ils.nwu.edu/~slator/
"The theme of this year's Girl Scout Cookie Sale is 'Reach for the Stars!'
The reason is simple: Girl Scouting gives girls the opportunity to learn
about new skills and careers and to be their best. And when it comes to how
the Girl Scout Cookie Sale can help your daughter learn important life
skills, the sky's the limit!" (A Special Guide to the Girl Scout Cookie
Sale)

Home | Subject Index | Thread Index