Re: Core getch Hack

Mike Carns wrote:

> Would it be possible to create a new builitin verb that called getch to
> get characters from the user, thus not echoing things like passwords?
> I've been looking at the code and their doesn't seem to be a definite
> place where it calls a form of scanf to get input, so I can't find the
> place to get the basic routine for such a verb.

The server doesn't get input directly from the user. The input comes from a telnet client that the user is
connected with. I/O has to pass thru that. The only way to get text on a character-by-character basis is by
setting the telnet client to character-by-character mode. This is generally considered to be a bad idea. Plus,
not all terminals would fail to echo the characters.

Short answer: No, it's not.

--
 ____    ____  Martian                (Wizard) Martian #141 @ MidgardMOO
|    \  /    | wsmyth@wichita.fn.net  telnet://midgard.solgate.com:8888
|  +-\\//-+  | awsmyth@mccoy.cs.twsu.edu      Martian #96675 @ LambdaMOO
|  |  \/  |  | themartian@aol.com        telnet://lambda.xerox.com:8888
|__|artian|__|                 <DEMOCRACY>
                              </CENSORSHIP>