Re: New patch release 1.8.0p5 of LambdaMOO server

Followup to:  <96May12.144308pdt.230921@mu.parc.xerox.com>
By author:    Pavel Curtis <pavel@parc.xerox.com>
In newsgroup: local.moo

> -- Fixed backward-compatibility problem in 1.8.0 where the semantically
>    erroneous but syntactically correct expression
> 	-"a string"
>    stopped even compiling, let alone running.  (Thanks to Seth Rich for
>    pointing this out.)
> -- Fixed another backward-compatibility problem in which the (again)
>    semantically erroneous but syntactically correct expression
> 	36789.foo
>    (an understandable typo for #6789.foo) stopped compiling when found in a
>    database made by a pre-1.8.0 server.

I hope these do generate compile-time errors and aren't allowed
through... it would be a travesty if we had to allow expressions that
would be known to generate runtime errors at compile time.

I can understand allowing them to compile when loading in a database
(to keep an old db from choking) but they shouldn't be allowed to be
entered anew.

	-hpa

--
PGP public key available - finger hpa@zytor.com
"The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens."  --  Bahá'u'lláh