crypt()ic problem

Hello,

I'm new to the list and to LambdaMOO.  I've compiled the LambdaMOO
1.8.0p5 on a FreeBSD machine and passwords don't work.  When ever a
character is created or a null password is changed, it's impossible to
connect.

I think I've tracked down the error to the connect verb.  I tested crypt
and got the following:
;crypt("test")
=> "$1$Vj$pJmk9yRpWDONyIbzo/UJJ."
;crypt("test")
=> "$1$fz$J1Q5yZbOLvS66.WpiXR7O0"
;crypt("test", "Vj")
=> "$1$Vj$pJmk9yRpWDONyIbzo/UJJ."
;crypt("test", "fz")
=> "$1$fz$J1Q5yZbOLvS66.WpiXR7O0"
;crypt("test", "Vj")
=> "$1$Vj$pJmk9yRpWDONyIbzo/UJJ."

In the connect verb I found:
16:  if (is_clear_property(candidate, "password") || !$object_utils:isa(
 candidate, $player) || (typeof(candidate.password) == STR && (length(
 candidate.password) < 2 || strcmp(crypt({@args, ""}[2],
 candidate.password[1..2]), candidate.password))))

I think this system has a slightly nonstandard form of crypt().  If I
change candidate.password[1..2] to candidate.password[4..5] I think it
should work, but I wanted to check with someone more familier with the
language first (especially since this would make the code incompatable
with other servers).

                       Making the future, today...
      Jamal Wills    Core Member   |   First Millennial Foundation
      www.millennial.org/~jwills   |       www.millennial.org
         jwills@millennial.org     |      rifle@millennial.org