Re: MOO vs. LPMUD, Pueblo, etc

    Mark> Content-MD5: P0+n5dMH3SJHsDoG7hHtBg== Sender:
    Mark> MOO-Cows-Errors@parc.xerox.com Precedence: bulk

    >> From rj@eli.wariat.org Fri Jun 14 15:52:07 1996 Actually, the
    >> mass market doesn't even have the patience to figure out DOS,
    >> so what's the difference?  They still call in geeks like us
    >> when the want to set up a machine or learn how to do something.
    >> Either that or they just take the machine the way the dealer
    >> sold it to them and ask the dealer when they have a problem --
    >> the blind leading the blind.  I see no reason why this gives
    >> Microsoft any advantage over Linux.  The real truth is that the
    >> mass market still doesn't know about Linux, but I suspect that
    >> they will before too much longer.  Remember, the internet was
    >> for geeks, even after Mosiac, until Netscape came along.  Geeks
    >> like us were busy using ftp and archie and telnet on dumb
    >> VT-100 terminals long before any GUI stuff was around.  The
    >> right packaging will make Linux attractive to the masses too: a
    >> good start is to have dealers that will sell you a Linux box
    >> set up and ready to go on the net, and those same dealers
    >> willing to hand hold just like they do new DOS/W95 users today.

    Mark> My Dad wouldn't install Linux, even on a spare partition,
    Mark> coz he didn't want to bother learning it.  And he programs
    Mark> in APL and started in computers when they were still
    Mark> punching paper tape....

So did I.  I programmed my first computer, an IBM 1401, in 1967.  I
was punching paper tape up until 1975, and cards up until 1981.  If I
could learn it, he could too!

    >>  Sorry for the comeback, but I see the MOO as a valuable tool
    >> on the net, not just a toy or a game.  I see Linux as the ideal
    >> way for a small corporation to put a moo up on the net, along
    >> with a web server, ftp server, etc.

    Mark> SHHHHHHHHH!!  How am I supposed to convince people to buy
    Mark> and use Solaris on SPARC/Intel/PPC and Netscape servers if
    Mark> you guys are going to shout about Freeware like Linux,
    Mark> Apache, INN, etc on a public forum like this?????

Sell your customer support service!

    Mark> It's Anti-American not to make a profit, remember!

I make my profit selling my consulting services.

--
-----------  "...  And the men went up and viewed Ai."  [Jos 7:2]  -----------
Robert Jay Brown III  rj@eli.wariat.org  http://eli.wariat.org  1 847 705-0370