Re: Means of gathering data

Gustavo Glusman wrote:

> Then, once somewiz tells him/her something, the programmer owns a suspended
> task for which player.wizard is true. Next thing the programmer has to do
> resume() that task, passing it suitable arguments, e.g. {your-recorder,
> "start", {}}.
> There are simpler ways, but this one gives an idea of how such a malicious
> programmer could keep one or many such tasks, to be used at will later on,
> e.g. when said wizard is not online anymore.

Yech, you're absolutely right.  Time to '@grep player.wizard' and repair
sloppiness in my thinking.  Diverting verb calls like that never occurred
to me.  For normal generics, I use $perm_utils:controls (caller, this) but
for most of my wiz stuff I thought player.wizard to be adequate.  Ironic, eh?
:)

Thank you for pointing this out to me, and if you could point me in the
direction of those MOO security documents I would very much like to have a
look at them.  The MOO I'm a wiz on is small, everybody knows everybody else,
but we're starting to grow...

While we're on the subject, I have an interesting question.  'player' will
revert to its initial value in the calling verb when the calling verb is not
running with wizard permissions.  What happens if a wiz-owned verb changes
player, sets task perms to non-wizard, then calls another verb?  Will 'player'
stick to the value set when the task had wizard permissions, or will it revert
to the inital value of player in the original verb, because the task didn't
have wiz perms when it made the new verb call?

I know the answer to this with respect to LPMOO.  On LPMOO, which simulates
1.7.8 of Lambda, player will be reset because the task had no wizard perms
when the new verb call was made.  How does it work in Lambda 1.7.8?  1.8.0?

LPMOO simulates some things about Lambda incorrectly--the order of objects in
connected_players() for example and where property permissions are cloned from
when creating new objects.