Re: wish lists

Two things I'd like to see that would make coding much simpler and ehance the
OO features of the language are:

a) allowing verbs to be called with the . operator instead of : operator,
   i.e. object.verb(args)

b) a mechanism for encapsulating property references.

What I mean by (b) is probably easier to explain by example. In IdealMOO(tm),
there is the following piece of code:

	d.number = 5;

Now, d happens to be a large display panel in the square. When the property
changes, the number on the front does too. This is done by encapsulating the
number property. When the above expression is executed by the server, instead
of merely setting the property it calls d:_set_number(5) instead.

	d:_set_number():
		object.number = arg[1];
		object.description = tostr("A display panel with a ",
			object.number, " on the front.");
		return;

Likewise, reading d.number would instead return the result of d:_get_number(),
which wouldn't be defined in this case.

*I* think this would be extremely useful and reduce the amount and complexity
of code considerably, particularly integrated with (a). It would avoid the
extremely nasty o.description and o:description() `feature', for a start.

What do people think?

--
   If you're up against someone more intelligent than you are, do something