MOO Source Level Debugger bf's...

On Wed, 24 Jul 1996, Juliean Galak wrote:

> Well, I don't knwo if this idea was advanced before or not, but how about a
> debugger?  somethign with breakpoints and variable watch might be nice.  The
> other BIG thing I'd love to see is a full set of docs for LambdaCore (I
> dont' know if this falls into your jurisdiction or not...)
>
>           --Juliean Galak (a.k.a. Falcon)

	Steve Caron and I have created a set of built-in functions that
provide for the functionality of a source level debugger, and are in the
process of creating MOOcode to provide a standard editor style interface
for them.  These builtins exist currently, though not in a thoroughly
documented fashion, in the latest release of MacGoesMOO (the Mac port of
MOO 1.8.0p5).  We are currently testing their stability in the UNIX
implementation and should be releasing a patch file sometime.
	To summarize, these bf's allow the owner of a suspended task to:
* make the suspension indefinite
* resume it for exactly one line of code
* resume it for exactly one line of code or until it enters another verb
but before it actually executes any code in the called verb, whichever
comes first
* resume it until the current verb returns
	Combined with the Direct Stack Access extensions, these provide
all the functionality I've seen in real high-level language source level
debuggers...

--Nick Ingolia

ningolia@[oxygen|neon|stu].ci.lexington.ma.us
ingolia@molbio.mgh.harvard.edu