Re: Wish list

On Tue, 29 Aug 1995, Coolin MacKaarmick wrote:

> > >This could probably be done in-DB fairly easily, by hacking
> > >$string_utils:match_object or something similar.  I do think that we need
>
> I'm not sure that would work: the server parser, only calls :huh*() verbs
> to try to figure things out, not $string_utils:match_object().

Yes, but most verbs that require an object besides their location for an
argument (verbs on PC's, FO's, etc) call $string_utils:match_object to
match the object instead of just using the value the server sets 'dobj'
to, so if you hacked $string_utils:match_object, things like 'throw ball at
#100.someprop' and 'look at #100.someprop' would work (assuming the verb
called $string_utils:match_object).  Now if you wanted to do something
like 'push candybar on #100.vending_machine' or something, then you'd
have to hack $command_utils:do_huh but this doesn't seem all that necessary.

> Still, I might like to do something like
> 	@prop me.office $office
> which returns
> 	Syntax error in initial value:  `$' unexpected
> This is a product of @prop, and I could hack that but I don't want to
> have to hack every @-verb that I might want to give an expression
> argument to.  I'm not sure if a server mod is the optimal solution, but
> hacking oodles of core programmer verbs doesn't strike me as optimal either.
You wouldn't have to hack every @-verb, just the ones that don't use
$string_utils:match_object (or location:match_object or
player:my_match_object which I think all call $s_u:match_object
anyway)... the only ones I can think of off the top of my head are @verb,
and @prop.

 *       Don Schwarz <darkowl@tezcat.com>          *     PGP fingerprint:    *
 *        http://www.tezcat.com/~darkowl           * 6E 3E B9 38 CC C2 CA CD *
 * ->Come to EnigMOO!! (junior.wariat.org 7777)<-- * 4A ED 48 66 27 FA 1C 37 *
 *    Dark_Wiz @ EnigMOO,  Clam_Boy @ AquaMOO,     ***************************
 *  Dark_Owl @ EnigMOO, LambdaMOO, OutlawMOO, OutlawMOO, MOO2000, KingdomMOO *
 * PMC-MOO, PizzaMOO, RiverMOO, NovaMOO, ErasMOO, GhostMOO, MOOtiny, OpalMOO *