Re: Use for $call_verb

At 12:51 PM 8/2/96 PDT, you wrote:
>If NO type checking were done in advance of call_verb, it would be possible to
>do something like this:
>
>{2,1,4,3}:sort();
>
>This would call $call_verb({2, 1, 4, 3}, "sort", {}), which would call
>$list_utils:sort({2, 1, 4, 3}), which returns {1,2,3,4} to $call_verb, which
>passes that back to the player.  This seems like a very cool thing to do,
>OOP-wise.

This is what frob support would essentially do, but without the call to
$call_verb.  I actually did start implementing this a while back, Janus,
Riche and I hashed over it for about an hour until I got through the server
aspects I didn't understand.  It worked reasonably well, and I never did
track down the case where it did cause a panic (I don't even remember if I
got to a version that didn't).  I'll have to dig up the code.

This is the basis for the datatype support that we have started implementing
on E_MOO.

Andy.

Home | Subject Index | Thread Index