Re: Use for $call_verb

On Fri, 2 Aug 1996, Jefferson M. Dubrule wrote:

<snip>
> {2,1,4,3}:sort();
>
> This would call $call_verb({2, 1, 4, 3}, "sort", {}), which would call
> $list_utils:sort({2, 1, 4, 3}), which returns {1,2,3,4} to $call_verb, which
> passes that back to the player.  This seems like a very cool thing to do,
> OOP-wise.
>
> Comments?

It would certainly be a step in an object-oriented direction, but it seems
like you are essentially asking for a way of kludging frobs in-db.  If the
example you provided was the primary use you had for this function,
"frobs" or other lightweight objects seem to be what you actually want; as
these are on our new maintainer's list, perhaps we will see something like
this.  As things stand now, however, I don't know that it would be a good
idea to add even more overhead to each function call...

--Nick Ingolia

ningolia@[oxygen|neon|stu].ci.lexington.ma.us
ingolia@molbio.mgh.harvard.edu