Re: My wish: built-in prompt support

> At 08:45 AM 8/9/96 PDT, Ahn Jin-su wrote:
> >I think there's some need for built-in prompt support, for various reasons
> >(printing stat for rpg MOO, verb name and line number for in-MOO editor,
> >for example).
>
> I think it's just fine in the database.
>
> The only possible server way, as I see it, is if it has been 1/10th to 1
> second second since the last notify(), display the prompt.  This would be
> hard to do in the server, and is easily solved in the Paradigm core with a
> simple .prompt_ok and a fork()

I wrote patches in this way for 1.7.8p4 and 1.7.9p2, but now I just decide
not to use fork() and move almost everything in server. Now it seems I have
another task vector for prompting in server. (it's essentially same to
the in-db support using fork(), but is more efficient).

> >I wrote patches for it several times myself, for the server is continuosly
> >evolving, and the last one was completely rewritten from scratch and finished
> >last night. It seems I wrote the patches for every versions of server since
> >1.7.8p4. (sigh)
>
> I believe you did this by calling a verb after each task terminates or
> suspends  (I am prolly wrong).  The problem I see with this is, what if a
> suspended task produces no output?  Extra prompts would be produced, which
> could give away an invisible player (I've seen this on other muds)

Neither of my patches generate prompt from an invisible player. They hook on
user inputs and outputs directed to the user. (though some of them can
examine task queue and call a verb appropriately).

Surprisingly current patch is much smaller than previous ones, that I couldn't
expect.

	- Ahn

> - Kipp
> http://radioactivo.com.mx/~paradigm

-----
Ahn, Jin-su    				email:	jsahn@ee.snu.ac.kr
School of Electrical Engineering	LambdaMOO: Deedlit(#103811)
Seoul National University, Korea