Re: Encyclopedia

On Wed, 14 Aug 1996, Edward Goff wrote:

> Now this is an idea I've toyed with for so long.. Would it be possible t
> use said dictoniary for a spelling checker and how laggy does anyone think
> this will run a system.. Also how did you add it Julie, is it diskbased
> and you just read it, a prop on something? what?
>
> On Mon, 12 Aug 1996, Julie Falsetti wrote:
>
> > Currently, my moo (schMOOze U.) has an on-line dictionary and thesaurus.
> > I would like to add an encyclopedia. Has anyone done this? If there
> > is no on-line public encyclopedia, how would I go about having the moo
> > access one on a CD connected to the server?
> >
> > TIA,
> > ... julie

	Lambda Core comes with a dictionary builtin.  Only that most
people recycle it because it's 1.2 megs in size by itself.  The object is
$spell.  You would probably have to go to LambdaMOO to get the related
@spell verbs on the player classes (or features, whichever) and install
them so you can use it (unless you want to create your own, which isn't
hard).

	Also, there is a webster dictionary on the internet (there are
several actualy), so even if whatever MOO you're on doesn't have $spell,
you can still check for definitions and stuff online through the internet
dictionary.  I would suggest looking for an Internet Word Finding feature
and check that out.  It has the host address and port on it that you can
contact (and the related verbs to use, obviously).

	Junky's 'R' Us